A stick held against a wall by a rope?

• Thread starter mclame22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rope Wall
So, the equation for the y-direction should be μ(mg*cosθ) + (mg*cosθ)tanθ - mg = 0.In summary, the maximum value for the angle θ in this problem can be found by setting up equations for the x and y-directions and solving for θ using the coefficient of friction and the weight of the object. The torque calculation also needs to take into account the angle of the stick with the wall and the component of the weight that is perpendicular to the wall.
mclame22

Homework Statement

One end of a uniform meter stick is placed against a vertical wall . The other end is held by a lightweight cord that makes an angle θ with the stick. The coefficient of static friction between the end of the meter stick and the wall is 0.38. What is the maximum value the angle θ can have if the stick is to remain in equilibrium?

Homework Equations

F = ma
τ = rFsinφ

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried doing this problem using the sum of the forces and then the sum of the torques, but I got two different angles that are both incorrect. Here's what I tried:

Using Forces:
x-direction: Fn - Tcosθ = 0 --> T = Fn/cosθ
y-direction: Ff + Tsinθ - Fg = 0
Ff + (Fn/cosθ)sinθ - Fg = 0
μ(Fn) + (Fn)tanθ - Fn = 0
μ + tanθ - 1 = 0
θ = arctan(1-μ) = arctan(1-0.38) = 32°

Using torque:
Taking the reference point at the point between the wall and the stick and taking clockwise rotation to be positive...
τ(stick) + τ(rope) + τ(wall) + τ(friction) = 0
τ(stick) + τ(rope) = 0
τ(stick) = (Fg)(0.5m)sin(90) = 0.5mg
τ(rope) = -(T)(1m)sinθ = -Tsinθ
τ(stick) + τ(rope) = 0.5mg - Tsinθ = 0
Above, we found T = Fn/cosθ
0.5mg - (mg/cosθ)sinθ = 0
0.5 - tanθ = 0
θ = arctan(0.5) = 27°

Neither of these angles are correct. I think I went wrong with the normal force due to the wall, Fn. Is this force equal to the weight of the object? I'm not sure if that makes sense... I think I was wrong to cancel out Fn when I tried using the forces.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any help would be appreciated!Your approach to the problem is correct, but there are a few errors in your calculations.

First, in the x-direction, the tension force should be Tsinθ, not Tcosθ. This is because the tension force is acting at an angle θ from the horizontal, not the vertical.

Second, in the y-direction, the force of friction should be μFn, not μFg. This is because the force of friction is between the wall and the stick, not between the stick and the ground.

Third, in your torque calculation, you have used the wrong distance for the stick. The distance from the reference point to the center of mass of the stick is not 0.5m, it is 0.5m*cosθ. This is because the stick is not perpendicular to the wall, it is at an angle θ.

With these corrections, your calculations should give the correct answer. Keep in mind that the normal force, Fn, is not equal to the weight of the object in this case. It is equal to the component of the weight that is perpendicular to the wall, which is mg*cosθ.

Related to A stick held against a wall by a rope?

1. How does the stick stay against the wall with just a rope?

The stick is able to stay against the wall because of the tension in the rope. The rope is pulling the stick towards the wall, creating a force that keeps the stick in place.

2. Why doesn't the stick fall to the ground?

The stick does not fall to the ground because the rope is holding it in place. The force created by the tension in the rope is strong enough to counteract the force of gravity pulling the stick down.

3. What happens if the rope is cut or breaks?

If the rope is cut or breaks, the stick will fall to the ground due to the force of gravity. Without the tension from the rope, there is nothing to hold the stick against the wall.

4. Is there a limit to how heavy the stick can be for this to work?

The weight of the stick is not the determining factor for whether this setup will work. As long as the rope is strong enough to support the weight of the stick, the stick will stay against the wall.

5. What other factors can affect the stability of the stick against the wall?

The angle at which the rope is attached to the wall and the surface of the wall can affect the stability of the stick. The stick may also become unstable if the rope becomes loose or if there are external forces acting on the stick, such as wind.