A simple question about integration by substitution

In summary, the mathematical operation used to achieve the line du = 2dx is a symbolic multiplication, where du and dx are treated as symbols rather than numbers. This is only possible when the derivative of the variable being substituted is a constant. If the derivative is not a constant, the substitution method cannot be used.
ScienceNerd36
Hello all,

We've just begun integration in my maths class and I have a question about a certain aspect of integration by substitution.

Let's say for instance you let u = 2x-1. Then you differentiate it and get du/dx = 2.

My maths teacher said " you can now think of it as multiplying across by 'dx' ".

Which leads to du = 2dx.

My question is, what mathematical operations are you actually committing to achieve this line?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
ScienceNerd36 said:
Hello all,

We've just begun integration in my maths class and I have a question about a certain aspect of integration by substitution.

Let's say for instance you let u = 2x-1. Then you differentiate it and get du/dx = 2.

My maths teacher said " you can now think of it as multiplying across by 'dx' ".

Which leads to du = 2dx.

My question is, what mathematical operations are you actually committing to achieve this line?

Thanks in advance for any help.

It is a symbolic multiplication, since du and dx are symbols not numbers.

If your integration were, say,
[tex]\int e^{2x- 1}dx[/tex]
you can think in either of two ways:
If u= 2x- 1 then du= 2dx so dx= (1/2)du and the integral becomes
[tex]\int e^{2x- 1}dx= \int e^u((1/2)du)= (1/2)\int e^u du[/tex]

Or if u= 2x- 1 then du 2dx and if we multiply and divide by 2 we get
[tex]\int e^{2x-1}dx= (1/2)(2)\int e^{2x-1}dx= (1/2)\int e^{2x-1}(2dx)= (1/2)\int e^u du[/tex]

Notice that in the first case we are moving the "1/2" outside the integral and in the second case, we are moving the "2" inside the integral. We can do that because the derivative of 2x is a constant. If the integral were
[tex]\int e^{x^2}dx[/tex]
so that taking [itex]u= x^2[/itex] gives [itex]du= 2xdx[/itex], we cannot do that substitution. In fact, that integral is not any "elementary" function.

Related to A simple question about integration by substitution

What is integration by substitution?

Integration by substitution is a technique used to simplify the process of integrating a function by replacing the variable with a new variable. This substitution is based on the chain rule for differentiation.

How do I know when to use integration by substitution?

You should use integration by substitution when the integrand (the function being integrated) contains a composite function, meaning it can be written as the composition of two functions.

What is the general formula for integration by substitution?

The general formula for integration by substitution is ∫f(g(x))g'(x)dx = ∫f(u)du, where u = g(x) and du = g'(x)dx.

Can integration by substitution be used to solve all integration problems?

No, integration by substitution can only be used for certain types of integrals, specifically ones that can be written as a composite function. Other techniques, such as integration by parts or partial fractions, may be needed for other types of integrals.

What is the process for solving an integral using integration by substitution?

The process for solving an integral using integration by substitution is as follows:
1. Identify a composite function within the integrand.
2. Choose a new variable to replace the inner function of the composite function.
3. Rewrite the integrand in terms of the new variable.
4. Substitute the new variable and its differential into the integral.
5. Solve the integral using basic integration rules.
6. Substitute the original variable back into the result.