A Simple Mechanics Problem: Help with Calculating Forces and Energy

• Thread starter ken62310
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanic
In summary, the conversation is about solving a physics problem with multiple parts involving calculations for force, work, and energy. The participants are discussing the correct values for the distance and work by the spring, as well as how to find the maximum kinetic and potential energy of the block. They also mention the use of the formula (1/2)kx^2 for calculating work by the spring.
ken62310
img023.jpg

can anyone help me on the second question?
i found the part a is
1400 * 0.1 m = 140N,
part b is 6.6m, part c is 14J, part d is
but i don't know how to do the last two part... help please!
is this correct?
w=mgcos60 x 6.6m = 6.468 J..
i don't know which distance should i use~
0.1m or 6.6m?
0.1m is form the spring and 6.6 is the total distance..
how to find the maximum kinetic and potential energy of the block?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you certain that the distance up the incline and the work by the spring that you calculated are right?

For the work by the spring... won't it just be (1/2)kx^2 = (1/2)(1400)(0.1)^2 = 7J ?

I'm assuming the spring is compressed at 0.1m and then released?

I am happy to help you with your mechanics problem. First, let's review the given information. We have a block with a mass of 1400 grams (1.4 kg) and it is being pulled by a spring with a force of 140 N over a distance of 0.1 m. The block is also being pulled by a force of 6.6 m at an angle of 60 degrees. The question is asking for the maximum kinetic and potential energy of the block.

To calculate the potential energy of the block, we need to use the formula PE = mgh, where m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the height. Since the block is being pulled at an angle, we need to find the vertical height, which is given by h = d*sin(theta), where d is the distance (0.1 m) and theta is the angle (60 degrees). Plugging in the values, we get h = 0.1 m * sin(60) = 0.0866 m. Now we can calculate the potential energy as PE = 1.4 kg * 9.8 m/s^2 * 0.0866 m = 1.19 J.

To calculate the maximum kinetic energy, we need to use the formula KE = 1/2 * mv^2, where m is the mass and v is the velocity. In this case, we need to find the maximum velocity of the block. We can use the work-energy theorem to find the velocity as follows: W = KE = change in potential energy. The work done on the block is the sum of the work done by the spring and the work done by the force at an angle. The work done by the spring is W = 1/2 * k * x^2, where k is the spring constant (which is not given) and x is the displacement (0.1 m). The work done by the force at an angle is W = F * d * cos(theta), where F is the force (6.6 N) and d is the distance (6.6 m). Since the block is being pulled at an angle, we need to find the horizontal distance, which is given by d = x*cos(theta), where x is the total distance (6.6 m) and theta is the angle (60 degrees

Related to A Simple Mechanics Problem: Help with Calculating Forces and Energy

1. What is a simple mechanic problem?

A simple mechanic problem is a type of problem that involves the use of basic mechanical principles and concepts to solve a given task or situation. It typically requires the application of mathematical equations and physics principles to analyze and find a solution.

2. How do you approach a simple mechanic problem?

The first step in approaching a simple mechanic problem is to clearly understand the given task or situation. Then, break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and identify the relevant principles and equations that can be applied. Finally, solve the equations and analyze the results to find the solution.

3. What are some common examples of simple mechanic problems?

Some common examples of simple mechanic problems include calculating the force required to lift an object, determining the velocity of a moving object, or finding the tension in a rope supporting a weight. Other examples include analyzing motion on an inclined plane, calculating work and energy, and solving problems involving rotational motion.

4. What skills are needed to solve a simple mechanic problem?

To solve a simple mechanic problem, one needs to have a strong understanding of basic mathematical concepts such as algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. Additionally, knowledge of mechanical principles and equations, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills, are essential.

5. How can simple mechanic problems be applied in real-life situations?

Simple mechanic problems can be applied in various real-life situations, such as designing and building structures, machines, and vehicles. They are also used in fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics to solve practical problems and improve efficiency and functionality.