A simple Complex Analysis Mapping

In summary, the problem given involves solving for z + 1 and w in terms of u + iv, rationalizing the denominator, and substituting (x,y) values into the equation of a line to get it in the form of an equation of a circle. The next part involves switching to vectors if complex numbers cannot be used and potentially adjusting for a shift in the circle due to a 2 in the equation.
NewtonianAlch

Homework Statement

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/779/334sn.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

The first part was fairly straightforward, solve for z + 1, and then get w in terms of u + iv, rationalise the denominator, and then we get (x,y) in terms of u and v, which we substitute back into the equation of the line, and get it into the form of an equation of a circle.

The next part is not as obvious for me, I tried the same method, but I couldn't rationalise the denominator, I'm assuming the circle is shifted somehow because of the 2, but I'm not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
NewtonianAlch said:

Homework Statement

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/779/334sn.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

The first part was fairly straightforward, solve for z + 1, and then get w in terms of u + iv, rationalise the denominator, and then we get (x,y) in terms of u and v, which we substitute back into the equation of the line, and get it into the form of an equation of a circle.

The next part is not as obvious for me, I tried the same method, but I couldn't rationalise the denominator, I'm assuming the circle is shifted somehow because of the 2, but I'm not sure.

If you can't do it with complex numbers, switch to vectors.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to A simple Complex Analysis Mapping

1. What is a simple Complex Analysis Mapping?

A simple Complex Analysis Mapping is a mathematical function that maps a complex plane to another complex plane. It is used to study and analyze complex functions by transforming them into simpler functions.

2. What are some common examples of simple Complex Analysis Mappings?

Some common examples of simple Complex Analysis Mappings include the identity function, which maps each complex number to itself, and the exponential function, which maps each complex number to its complex exponential.

3. How is a simple Complex Analysis Mapping different from a complex function?

A simple Complex Analysis Mapping is a specific type of complex function that has special properties, such as being conformal (preserving angles and shapes), holomorphic (differentiable everywhere), and analytic (having a power series representation).

4. What are the practical applications of simple Complex Analysis Mappings?

Simple Complex Analysis Mappings have various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They are used to solve problems involving electric fields, fluid dynamics, and signal processing, to name a few.

5. Are there any limitations to simple Complex Analysis Mappings?

Yes, there are some limitations to simple Complex Analysis Mappings. They may not be applicable to all complex functions, and they cannot be used to solve all complex problems. Also, they may become more complex when applied to higher-dimensional spaces.