A rocket going up with acceleration =

In summary, the rocket reaches a height of 959.9 meters above the Earth's surface at time t = 10 seconds.
David112234

Homework Statement

A rocket starts from rest and moves upward from the surface of the earth. For the first 10.0 s of its motion, the vertical acceleration of the rocket is given by ay=(2.90m/s^3)t, where the +y-direction is upward.

What is the height of the rocket above the surface of the Earth at t = 10.0 s ?
Express your answer with the appropriate units.

Homework Equations

v=dy/dt
a=dv/dt
y =v*t + (1/2) a*t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a diagram. A rocker going up, from 0 -10 a= 2.90 *t
from 10 and higher, a = -9.802
I integrated the acceleration from 0-10, and got the velocity to be 2.90/2 t^2 I used the kinematics formula for position, height in this case and got
h= 2.90/2 t^3 + .5*-9.802*t^2 = 959.9
its not correct, what am I doing wrong? What should I do instead and why?

Physics news on Phys.org
David112234 said:

Homework Statement

A rocket starts from rest and moves upward from the surface of the earth. For the first 10.0 s of its motion, the vertical acceleration of the rocket is given by ay=(2.90m/s^3)t, where the +y-direction is upward.

What is the height of the rocket above the surface of the Earth at t = 10.0 s ?
Express your answer with the appropriate units.

Homework Equations

v=dy/dt
a=dv/dt
y =v*t + (1/2) a*t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a diagram. A rocker going up, from 0 -10 a= 2.90 *t
from 10 and higher, a = -9.802
Not sure why you care what happens to the rocket for t > 10 sec. The problem asks you to find the height of the rocket at t = 10 sec.

What happens to the rocket after that is immaterial.

I integrated the acceleration from 0-10, and got the velocity to be 2.90/2 t^2 I used the kinematics formula for position, height in this case and got
h= 2.90/2 t^3 + .5*-9.802*t^2 = 959.9
its not correct, what am I doing wrong? What should I do instead and why?

You only need to concern yourself with what happens to the rocket over the interval 0 ≤ t ≤ 10.

If you can integrate acceleration once to find velocity, why can't you integrate velocity to find height?

Likes David112234
SteamKing said:
Not sure why you care what happens to the rocket for t > 10 sec. The problem asks you to find the height of the rocket at t = 10 sec.

What happens to the rocket after that is immaterial.
You only need to concern yourself with what happens to the rocket over the interval 0 ≤ t ≤ 10.

If you can integrate acceleration once to find velocity, why can't you integrate velocity to find height?
I'm sorry, I didn't not read carefully enough, I am pretty sleepy doing tons of home work, I did a previous question that asked for something past the original time interval, and I was in the same mind set with this one. Thanks!

Related to A rocket going up with acceleration =

1. What is acceleration and how does it affect a rocket going up?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. In the context of a rocket going up, acceleration refers to the increase in speed as the rocket moves upwards. This is caused by the thrust force provided by the rocket engines.

2. How is acceleration measured in a rocket going up?

Acceleration in a rocket going up is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s²) or in units of gravitational acceleration (g). This can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time it takes for the rocket to reach that velocity.

3. What factors can affect the acceleration of a rocket going up?

The acceleration of a rocket going up can be affected by several factors, including the amount of thrust force provided by the engines, the weight of the rocket, air resistance, and the force of gravity. These factors can either increase or decrease the acceleration of the rocket.

4. Can a rocket's acceleration change as it goes up?

Yes, a rocket's acceleration can change as it goes up. Initially, the acceleration will be high as the rocket's engines provide a strong thrust force. However, as the rocket reaches higher altitudes, the force of gravity and air resistance will start to decrease the acceleration.

5. How does acceleration impact the overall flight path of a rocket?

The acceleration of a rocket plays a crucial role in determining its flight path. A higher acceleration will result in a steeper flight path, while a lower acceleration will result in a more gradual path. This is why rockets are designed to have a specific acceleration profile to ensure they reach their intended destination.