A road to software engineering

In summary, the conversation revolves around the individual's interest in becoming a software engineer and their concerns about the necessary skills and knowledge. They discuss their background in engineering and their current situation, including their lack of formal education and their previous high-paying job in a blue collar field. They express a desire to learn more about programming and math, specifically calculus, and ask for suggestions on how to improve their skills. The conversation also touches on the difference between software engineering and computer systems engineering at ASU and the importance of practical experience outside of coursework.
samson_420
I found this forum while looking up the basics of calculus, which now I know is a very important part of becoming a software engineer.

So this is my first post.

I am trying to find help(any) to my path of becoming a software engineer. I decided I wanted to get into the Software Engineering Program at ASU (since it is AZ is my home state).

I always had a huge interest in the Engineering Field but never taken a step forward. I had a high paying job.

I have not attended school in a fairly long time and I never graduated from high school. I received my GED instead and went to UTI for Automotive and Diesel(it seemed like cool thing to do at the time). I received my Associates Degree in 2005 and graduated in the top 3% of my class with a GPA of 3.93.

Now, I realized blue collar work is just not for me. I lost my very high paying Blue Collar job and I am in a perfect position to go to school for as long as it takes. I have almost no bills ,I own my home and I just turned 30 last year.

Where do I start?

It seems like there is a lot to know.

Calculus for instance. My math I would not say is poor but. . . I am fairly strong at basic Algebra at best. But, I have never even attempted to learn anything above that since there was no requirement for it at all.

Any suggestions to help me on ,y path would be very helpful.

Sorry for the long first post. Just thought I should explain a bit.

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't really worry about the material you need to know before applying to a software engineering program, because almost everything will be taught from scratch. Even if you have absolutely no programming experience, they have courses that teach basic programming. However, the majority of SE and CS students have done a lot of programming in high school, so the most important thing to learn would be basic programming. I wouldn't worry about math for SE so much because all you need to know is basic single-variable calculus, linear algebra and discrete math. CS majors however have to be stronger in math mostly because of all the theoretical CS courses that they have to take which require a lot of proving. But as for programming I suggest read a textbook for a high-level language such as Java or Python and write as much code as you can. Here is the link for a good textbook on java which is free.

http://math.hws.edu/javanotes/

However, if you still want to boost up you math skills, I recommend you buy a first year calculus textbook and start doing as many problems as you can. A popular book that is used everywhere in the US is Stewart Calculus, which is fairly easy to understand, for more serious textbooks I recommend Spivak Calculus.
Also, there is a great website that offers math and programming problems, you might want to take a look at that too.However, you need to have solid programming experience and problem-solving skills. Here is the link.

http://projecteuler.net/

Last edited:
Thank you for the helpful links. . . .

I just started a bit of Java programming. My main interest is in hand held devices.

The Calculus just frightens me a bit. I feel so lost when looking at these equations. But, I know everyone has to start somewhere.Also, calculus seems to be a huge part of the curriculum at ASU it goes all the way up to Calculus III.

Also, if it makes a huge difference. ASU does not have a "true" software engineering program. It is actually CSE(computer systems engineering).

Last edited:
First of all let me just say that you are not the only one being frightened by calculus, most freshman students in SE or CS do significantly better in their programming courses than in their calculus courses.
I am not familiar with the curriculum at ASU but if the calculus course that you are required to take is proof-based you have to do a lot of work. It is going to be very different from what you have seen in high school and even if you think you are strong in basic algebra it does not guarantee success in that course. I strongly recommend you take a look at the following link if you want tips for solving difficult calculus questions.
http://terrytao.wordpress.com/career-advice/solving-mathematical-problems/ (This is written by Fields Medalist Terence Tao on problem-solving)

Aside from that there is no trick, you just have to work hard and develop good study habits.

Oh, and regarding Computer system engineering as opposed to software engineering, I don`t think there is a big difference because you are probably taking the exact same courses for the first 2 years and in your 3rd and 4th year you focus on SE while some students can focus on more hardware oriented fields. I think this is actually better than a `True`software engineering because it gives you the option to switch or work in interdisciplinary fields.

Last edited:
Msh1 said:
I think this is actually better than a `True`software engineering because it gives you the option to switch or work in interdisciplinary fields.

From looking at the job field, it does seem like a better path.

One thing to remember is that coursework is just part of your education. It helps a lot of you do things outside of class (like for example buying an Android phone, and then messing with the software to see what makes it tick).

twofish-quant said:
One thing to remember is that coursework is just part of your education. It helps a lot of you do things outside of class (like for example buying an Android phone, and then messing with the software to see what makes it tick).
Lol. . . . I am in the process of writing my first App right now.I just feel very lost. JavaScript seems a lot tougher for me to memorize then I thought it would be.

I feel like I am at a advanced user lever, but not a developer.

I can install many things that others have issues with(My HD2 runs on a Robot ROM like a champ:).

Last edited:
Have you considered IT? IT guys are the ones who setup and maintain computers/networks for businesses. Your computer-issue solving skills would be put to better use there.

TylerH said:
Have you considered IT? IT guys are the ones who setup and maintain computers/networks for businesses. Your computer-issue solving skills would be put to better use there.

I consider the IT field obsolete.

Every person I know can do an IT job, but they can never find one.

Starting out in the IT field is just too tough these days.

Hi,

Here are some excellent resources I highly recommend you listen to, watch and read regularly in your spare time:

The best things about these resources are that they are all free and have excellent content. Best of luck.

Related to A road to software engineering

1. What is software engineering?

Software engineering is the application of engineering principles to the design, development, and maintenance of software systems. It involves using various methods and tools to create high-quality, scalable, and reliable software solutions that meet the needs of users and organizations.

2. What are the main skills required to become a software engineer?

The main skills required to become a software engineer include proficiency in programming languages, problem-solving and analytical skills, attention to detail, communication and teamwork, and continuous learning and adaptation to new technologies and tools.

3. What is the difference between software engineering and computer science?

Software engineering and computer science are closely related fields, but they have distinct differences. Computer science focuses on the theoretical foundations of computing, while software engineering is more practical and deals with the application of computer science principles to the development of software systems.

4. What are the different stages of the software engineering process?

The software engineering process typically consists of five stages: requirements gathering and analysis, design, implementation, testing, and maintenance. These stages are often iterative, meaning that they may be repeated multiple times throughout the software development lifecycle.

5. How can I become a successful software engineer?

To become a successful software engineer, it is important to continuously improve your technical skills, stay up-to-date with industry trends and advancements, collaborate with others, and communicate effectively. It is also important to have a strong work ethic, attention to detail, and a passion for problem-solving and creating innovative solutions.