A question that bugged me the minute i heard the word atom

• Thread starter stunner5000pt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atom
In summary, atoms' properties are mainly determined by their electron configurations, with exceptions occurring at fully or half-filled sub-shells or shells. This is why neighboring atoms on the periodic table may have starkly different properties, as even one electron can significantly impact the structure and behavior of the atom.
stunner5000pt
i asked my tenth grade teacher this question but he kept chaning the subject!
I am not really familiar with the 'intense' math (im still in my thrid year of undergrad physics) that goes into solid state physics (if this is a question relating to that field of study) so if possible try and explain in layman's terms.
anyway... what gives atoms their properties?
For example why would something like Mercury have such a low melting point but something adjacent to it on the periodic table have a considerably higher melting point? I do know that trends seem to be carried in the columns of the periodic table... but why would something with +/- 1 atomic number have starkly (once again, i m not sure if that is the case) different properties? I mena its only ONE electron and one proton? How could One electron change the structure of some metal for example?

Physics news on Phys.org
For the most part, atomic properties vary only gradually from one group to the next. There are some exceptions to this however (such as, for instance, the MP of Hg). These exceptions typically occur at electronic configurations involving fully or half-filled sub-shells or shells (and it takes only one electron to go from a partly filled subshell to a fully filled subshell).

In the case of the Hg group of elements, the culprit is the fully filled 5d orbitals. This makes Zn, Cd and Hg relatively inert compared to their neighbors. This is exhibited in their very small bond enthalpies in gaseous diatomic species and their large ionization energies, for instance.

Last edited:
Chemical properties of atoms are derived from the electron shells, mostly the valance shell, or the electrons with the most energy and are farther away.

Related to A question that bugged me the minute i heard the word atom

What is an atom?

An atom is the smallest unit of matter that retains the properties of an element. It is composed of a nucleus, which contains protons and neutrons, and electrons orbiting the nucleus.

How was the concept of an atom developed?

The concept of an atom has been around since ancient times, but the modern understanding of atoms began in the late 19th century with the work of scientists such as John Dalton and J.J. Thomson. Through experimentation and theoretical models, the atomic structure was gradually understood.

What are the different parts of an atom?

An atom is made up of three main parts: protons, neutrons, and electrons. Protons have a positive charge, neutrons have no charge, and electrons have a negative charge. The protons and neutrons make up the nucleus, while the electrons orbit around it.

What is the significance of atoms in the world around us?

Atoms are the building blocks of matter, meaning that everything around us is made up of atoms. The different elements and their combinations make up all the substances we encounter in our daily lives, from the air we breathe to the food we eat.

How is our understanding of atoms important in scientific research and advancements?

Understanding the structure and behavior of atoms is crucial in many areas of science, such as chemistry, physics, and biology. It allows us to manipulate and create new substances, develop new technologies, and further our understanding of the world around us.