A question on the conservation of energy

In summary: The SM-based version of cosmology is the view that the universe began with a 'big bang' and is currently in the process of evolution.
startic84
Hello all. Please help me find the answer to my question...I would glady appreciate your help.

I'd like to know...since the conservation of energy states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed but only gets tranforms from one form to another, how is it that we today already have energy sources etc. around?

I mean, as in, like the sun's energy and the energy that's being used to power this computer and so on...where did those energy come from if the law states that " energy...cannot be created nor destroyed..."?

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first part,the simplest example i can think of is the one with wind-mills:we thake the energy of air flows (wind) and use it to produce (very cheap) electrical energy...Sure,there may be loses,but that is a good example of energy conservation & "energy sources" involved.

As for our Sun,it "burns out fuel" continuously and it's estimated that it will exhaust it in ~5 billion yrs...

And the energy powering our computers comes from "energy sources" which are based on the same fundamental principle.

Daniel.

so what made the wind? what made the air that constituted the wind? And so on...
how did the sun have that fuel to burn?

does " because the big bang happended" answers my question?

Sure,this chain of question would indeed end with the question:"Where did everything come from",if this everything is generally conserved...
So for the last question,the answer is that BB happened in the SM-based version of cosmology.

Daniel.

There is an on-going, irreversible process of depletion of useful types ofenergy in the universe.
This is called the 2.law of thermodynamics.
(The 1.law states that all (useful plus useless) energy is conserved)

what is SM-based version of cosmology?

The origin (fuzzy) and the evolution of the Universe viewed by the cosmologists using The Standard Model of Particles and Interactions...

Magnificiently described by (Nobel Laureate) Steven Weinberg in his book:"The First Three Minutes"...

Daniel.

Related to A question on the conservation of energy

What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another.

Why is the conservation of energy important?

The conservation of energy is important because it is a fundamental law of physics that helps us understand and predict the behavior of systems in the physical world. It also has practical applications in areas such as energy efficiency and renewable energy sources.

How does the conservation of energy apply to everyday life?

The conservation of energy applies to everyday life in many ways, such as in the energy we use to power our homes and vehicles, the food we eat for energy, and the energy we use to perform physical tasks. It also applies to natural phenomena, such as the movement of objects and the cycles of energy in ecosystems.

What are some examples of the conservation of energy in action?

Some examples of the conservation of energy in action include a pendulum swinging back and forth, a rollercoaster moving through its tracks, and a ball rolling down a hill. In each of these cases, the energy is constantly being transformed from one form to another, but the total amount of energy remains constant.

Can the law of conservation of energy be violated?

No, the law of conservation of energy is a fundamental law of physics and has been proven through numerous experiments and observations. While energy can change forms and be transferred from one object to another, it cannot be created or destroyed, thus it cannot be violated.