A question of Einstein field equation

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving the energy-momentum tensor for a given metric in the context of the Einstein equation. The result obtained is a curved spacetime with no stress-energy tensor, similar to a Schwarzschild black hole. The calculation of the Ricci scalar and stress-energy tensor is discussed, with the suggestion to use a computer program for faster and more accurate results.
chinared
I got some trouble from this question:
For a given metric: ds2 =t-2(dx2-dt2), derive the energy-momentum tensor which satisfies the Einstein equation: Rαβ- 1/2Rgαβ=8[itex]\pi[/itex]GTαβ.

I got the Ricci scalar R=2, but Tαβ=0 for all α,β. Does this means a curved spacetime without any source(energy-momentum tensor)? Is this possible? Or this result implies that I have made some mistakes in my calculation?

Thanks for answering this question!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A schwarzschild black hole is a curved spacetime with no stress-energy tensor, so yes.

A correction to the EFE as you've written them

Rαβ- (R/2)gαβ=8πGTαβ.

I hope it is a typo. (added later ) I see you fixed it after I posted.

Your result is possible as Nabeshin has said.

[edit]
I did the calculation and your results are correct.

Last edited:
I've got a question about this problem. I'm not completely new to GR, but I'm new to actual calculations because I've focused mostly on concepts and I haven't taken a GR class.

How can one find the value of the Ricci Scalar from a given metric? And what about the Stress Energy tensor?

From the Christoffel symbols,
[tex]
{\Gamma ^{m}}_{ab}=\frac{1}{2}g^{mk}(g_{ak,b}+g_{bk,a}-g_{ab,k})
[/tex]
the Riemann tensor follows,
[tex]
{R^{r}}_{mqs} = \Gamma ^{r}_{mq,s}-\Gamma ^{r}_{ms,q}+\Gamma ^{r}_{ns}\Gamma ^{n}_{mq}-\Gamma ^{r}_{nq}\Gamma ^{n}_{ms}
[/tex]
from which
[tex]
R_{ms}={R^{r}}_{mrs}
[/tex]
and so
[tex]
R=g^{ms}R_{ms}
[/tex]

Use Maxima or some other CAS to calculate this stuff - it takes days by hand.

Related to A question of Einstein field equation

1. What is the Einstein field equation?

The Einstein field equation, also known as Einstein's equation, is a set of ten non-linear partial differential equations that describe the gravitational interactions between mass, energy, space, and time. It is a cornerstone of Einstein's theory of general relativity, which explains the force of gravity as a curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy.

2. What does the equation represent?

The Einstein field equation represents the fundamental relationship between the curvature of spacetime and the distribution of matter and energy in the universe. It describes how massive objects, such as planets and stars, curve the fabric of spacetime, and how this curvature influences the motion of other objects in the vicinity.

3. How was the equation developed?

The Einstein field equation was developed by Albert Einstein in 1915 as a result of his theory of general relativity. He spent a decade refining his equations and published them in a paper titled "The Field Equations of Gravitation." The equation has since been tested and confirmed through various experiments and observations, solidifying its place as a fundamental equation in modern physics.

4. What are the implications of the equation?

The implications of the Einstein field equation are vast and far-reaching. It has allowed scientists to understand the dynamics of the universe on a large scale, such as the formation of galaxies and the expansion of the universe. It also has practical applications, including the development of GPS technology and the detection of gravitational waves.

5. Are there any limitations to the equation?

While the Einstein field equation has been incredibly successful in describing the behavior of gravity, it does have limitations. It cannot fully explain the behavior of gravity on a quantum level, and it does not account for the effects of dark matter and dark energy. Scientists continue to work towards a more unified theory that can incorporate these phenomena into the equation.