A question about Thomas Calculus book

In summary, the person is planning to restudy calculus and will be taking a course on Coursera as well as using the textbook "Thomas Calculus 10th edition". They are curious about the differences between the course and the textbook and whether the topics not covered in the course are part of multivariable calculus. They also ask about the relationship between differential equations and multivariable calculus. The experts confirm that the topics not covered in the course are usually part of multivariable calculus and that differential equations is not a part of multivariable calculus, but rather a separate course. The person also asks if studying the entire Thomas Calculus textbook will be enough to master multivariable calculus, and the experts confirm that it should be sufficient
CharlieTan84
Hello all,
Soon I'm planning to restudy calculus to learn it to a better extend. Therefore, I'll start a course in coursera "Calculus-Single Variable" (https://www.coursera.org/course/calcsing), and besides that I already have the Thomas Calculus 10th edition so my plan is to study from this book either. However I'm curious about one thing. On this book, there are many chapters that are not being covered in the coursera course, such as "vectors in the plane and polar functions" or "vectors and motion in space". Are these chapters a part of multivariable calculus, or it's just Thomas Calculus is a more extensive book that covers lots of topics that are not covered in calculus.
Thank you very much and have a great day.

Physics news on Phys.org
Those topics are usually covered in a multivariable calculus course, so it's normal that the coursera course won't touch them.

A typical "Calculus class" covers three to four semesters with multivariable Calculus the last one or two semesters. There are smaller texts that cover only one or two semester- but I personally think you can't do better than "Thomas".

Hello micromass and Hallsoflvy,
Thank you very much for your answers. I got it now.
I have an another question. Is Differential Equations course a part of Multivariable Calculus? Cause during my engineering studies we studied that course seperately. So were we implicitely further studying Multivariable Calculus?
Thank you very much and have a great day!

CharlieTan84 said:
Hello micromass and Hallsoflvy,
Thank you very much for your answers. I got it now.
I have an another question. Is Differential Equations course a part of Multivariable Calculus? Cause during my engineering studies we studied that course seperately. So were we implicitely further studying Multivariable Calculus?
Thank you very much and have a great day!

No, differential equations is not a part of multivariable calculus. Ordinary differential equations like ##y^\prime = y## should actually be part of single variable calculus, but there is not enough time to cover that so it's a separate course. There are however techniques from multivariable calculus that come up in solving ODE's such as solving exact equations.
Partial differential equations could be seen as an extension of multivariable calculus.

Dear all,
Thank you very much for your all answers and enlightening me.
One last question: After finishing Single Variable Calculus, I'd like to start on Multi Variable Calculus. Do you think Thomas Calculus 10th Edition will be enough for that? If I study this book all the way through, will I be able to master Multi Variable Calculus?
Thanks a lot in advance!

No answer guys?

CharlieTan84 said:
Dear all,
Thank you very much for your all answers and enlightening me.
One last question: After finishing Single Variable Calculus, I'd like to start on Multi Variable Calculus. Do you think Thomas Calculus 10th Edition will be enough for that? If I study this book all the way through, will I be able to master Multi Variable Calculus?
Thanks a lot in advance!

The answer is, yes. You will want to be sure you can do the problems before moving on to each new chapter. I mean, don't skip topics because they'll be used later.

Related to A question about Thomas Calculus book

What is Thomas Calculus book?

Thomas Calculus is a widely used textbook for introductory calculus courses in universities and colleges. It was first published in 1952 and has gone through multiple editions and revisions to keep up with changes in the field of calculus.

What topics does Thomas Calculus cover?

The book covers all the fundamental topics of calculus, including limits, derivatives, integrals, and applications of these concepts. It also includes topics such as multivariable calculus, vector calculus, and differential equations.

Who is Thomas Calculus book suitable for?

The book is suitable for students who are new to calculus and have a basic understanding of algebra and trigonometry. It is commonly used in first and second-year calculus courses in universities and colleges.

Why is Thomas Calculus book so popular?

The book is popular because of its clear explanations, numerous examples, and exercises for practice. It also includes real-world applications of calculus, making the concepts more relatable and easier to understand for students.

Is there an online version of Thomas Calculus book available?

Yes, there is an online version of the book available for purchase. It includes interactive features such as videos, animations, and practice quizzes to enhance the learning experience. However, many students still prefer the physical textbook for studying purposes.