A question about subspace topolgy

• Thread starter ShahidNawaz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subspace
In summary: However, this is now a very long and involved answer, so I'll just stop here.In summary, the function g is related with function f given that f is a function on the parant topolgy and g is a function on the daughter topology. However, the relation between the functions is not clear.
ShahidNawaz
Let (X, τ) be a topolgical space. Let f: τ→R be a map that assigns real values to the elements of τ. Let (A,τ_A) be subspace of (X,τ). Let g:τ_A→R be another map that assigns real values to the element of subspace topology. My question is how the function g is related with function f given that f is a function on the parant topolgy and g is a function on the daughter topology. In the particular case in which I'm interested τ_A is a subset of τ.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a function that assigns values to open sets?? Like a measure??

Well, to answer your question: f and g have no connection what-so-ever. You just chose them as arbitrary functions without any conditions. So I can't see any connection between the functions...

What kind of function were you hoping for?

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes it is a kind of measure. Let me further clarify my problem. Let T be a topology on X. Now assign real values to each open set of X by f:T->R. Next I remove the whole neighborhood system (N_x) of a prticular point x from T, i.e. T\N_x. Next I have shown that T\N_x is a subspace topology of X .Please find details of my paper in http://arxiv.org/abs/1006.2481 . Now since T\N_x call it T_A is also a topology on set A subset of X it means that we can assign reals values to T_A in the same manner say g: T_A->R. What I'm wondering g might be related with f by some sort of annihilation operator i.e. g = Df where D is an annihilation operator that destroy some elements of f. This is my tentive approach to this problem. But I'm not sure how to get g given f.

Allow me to make a general remark on your paper: you don't want to deal with topologies! A topology seems to be the entirely wrong framework for what you want to do!

You should be looking at [itex]\sigma[/itex]-algebra's, Boolean algebra's, distributive lattices, orthomodular lattices, etc. These are the kinds of structures that are made for what you want to do! I don't really see why a topology should be more convenient than all these structures...

Instead of a neighborhood system, you want to deal with filters and ideals on the lattice. You would probably even want to work with congruence relations and quotient lattices.

As for your question: it is not clear to me what the relation between f and g is that you want. I don't even know what you want to do with f and g. Again, your question is troubles because working with a topology is not the best thing to do.

I agree that's the standard way to approach probability theory. I was however interested in some weaker form of probablity theory. Thanks again for the quick response.

In short, there is no way this will work.

In long, you want a commutative diagram where g is given by the composition of f with an annihilation operator. This means:
1) You want to be able to assign a number to an element E\A. This will not in general be in your domain.
2) You want f(D(E\A)) to be zero and you want f(D(E intersect A)) to be g(E intersect A). This implies that your function is defined on non-open subsets AND that it's additive on disjoint unions.

This, of course, is the only way to recover g from f. Otherwise, they have nothing to do with each other. So, in short, the only way to get what you want is to take f to be a measure and g to be an induced measure.

Yesterday I was all day working on commutative diagrams to make a connection between g and f. My guess was either g is marginalization of f or g is conditioning of f or something between it. It turns out that g is induced measure of f that is g corresponds to conditional probability provided the spaces I'm considering are probability spaces.

Related to A question about subspace topolgy

1. What is subspace topology?

Subspace topology is a branch of topology that deals with the study of topological spaces which are subsets of other topological spaces. It examines the properties of these subsets and how they relate to the larger space they are a part of.

2. How is subspace topology different from general topology?

Subspace topology differs from general topology in that it focuses specifically on the properties of subsets of topological spaces, rather than the spaces themselves. It also considers the inherited topology of these subsets from the larger space.

3. What are some examples of subspace topologies?

Some examples of subspace topologies include the subspace topology of a line segment within a larger space, the subspace topology of a circle within a plane, and the subspace topology of a plane within a three-dimensional space.

4. How is the subspace topology of a subset determined?

The subspace topology of a subset is determined by taking the intersection of the subset with open sets of the larger space and then considering the resulting collection as the open sets of the subspace. This ensures that the subset inherits the same topological properties as the larger space.

5. Why is subspace topology important in mathematics?

Subspace topology is important in mathematics because it allows for the study of specific subsets of topological spaces, which can provide insights into the properties of the larger space. It also has applications in fields such as computer science, physics, and engineering.