A question about linear accelerator and relativistic momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculations involved in determining the speed and magnetic field needed for electrons exiting a 3.2km linear accelerator. The energy and velocity of the electrons are calculated using the equations for relativistic kinetic energy and momentum, and the correct values are found to be 0.9999c and 8.89x10-26, respectively. It is noted that using a more accurate value for velocity results in the correct answer for the magnetic field needed.
jianghan
A 3.2km linear accelerator(linac) accelerates electrons constantly down the linac,each electron will have 50GeV of energy at the exit point. what is the speed of the electron after going 1m down the accelerator? After electrons exit the linac,magnets are used to curve the electron beams. the radius of curvature is 280m,what is the minimum magnetic field needed?

I think i have a rough idea of how to do this question,but somehow my answers doesn't agree with the answer key!

i think as 2as=v2,energy of electron after going down 1m should be (1/3200)*50GeV,which is 2.5x10-12joules,using eqn for relativistic kinetic energy
KE=MC2/√1-V2/C2,V works out to be 0.99946c
up to here my result agrees with the answer key
then i calculated relativistic momentum of electron to be 8.31x10-21kgm/s using MV/√1-V2/C2.
using eqn r=MV/Bq,sub in r=280m,i get B=1.86x10-4Tesla while the answer is 0.597T ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The question asks for the speed of the electron after going 1m which you have calculated but then asks for the magnetic field needed after the electron exits the LINAC which is 3.2km. You have used the velocity for the first part which won't be correct.

jimbobian said:
The question asks for the speed of the electron after going 1m which you have calculated but then asks for the magnetic field needed after the electron exits the LINAC which is 3.2km. You have used the velocity for the first part which won't be correct.

yeah,thank you,i made a careless mistake here.but after i used the correct data i had v=0.9999c,relativistic momentum=8.89x10-26 and B field=1.98x10-9Tesla,which is even further off the answer of 0.597T,puzzling

can anyone tell me if the eqn R=mev/Bq for circular motion of charged particles in a magnetic field is valid in this relativistic case,i suspect that's where the problem in my solution lies

I did the question with that equation for R and got the given answer, can you show exactly what calculations you are doing at each step please - the value you have given for the momentum is incorrect (far too small)

oh i can get the correct answer now,i think the problem of my previous calculation is i used v value 0f 0.9999c to calculate γ(p=γmv),which i think is not accurate enough. later i used γ value i get from part 1 to calculate and get the correct p and B

Thank you very much for your help!

oh i can get the correct answer now,i think the problem of my previous calculation is i used v value 0f 0.9999c to calculate γ(p=γmv),which i think is not accurate enough. later i used γ value i get from part 1 to calculate and get the correct p and B

Thank you very much for your help!

Related to A question about linear accelerator and relativistic momentum

1. What is a linear accelerator?

A linear accelerator, also known as a linac, is a type of particle accelerator that uses radiofrequency electromagnetic fields to accelerate charged particles, such as electrons or protons, along a straight path. It is commonly used in medical facilities for cancer treatment and in scientific research for studying the structure of matter.

2. How does a linear accelerator work?

A linear accelerator works by using radiofrequency waves to accelerate particles along a linear path. The particles are first injected into the accelerator and then guided through a series of accelerating structures, where they gain energy. The particles are then focused and directed towards a target, where they collide and produce energy or radiation that can be used for various applications.

3. What is relativistic momentum?

Relativistic momentum is the momentum of an object moving at relativistic speeds, which is a significant fraction of the speed of light. It takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, on an object's mass and velocity. As an object's velocity approaches the speed of light, its relativistic momentum increases significantly and can no longer be accurately described by classical mechanics.

4. How is relativistic momentum related to linear accelerator?

In a linear accelerator, particles are accelerated to high speeds, often approaching the speed of light. As a result, their mass and velocity change due to the effects of special relativity, and so does their momentum. The concept of relativistic momentum is therefore crucial in understanding the behavior of particles in a linear accelerator and predicting the results of experiments.

5. What are some practical applications of a linear accelerator?

Linear accelerators have a wide range of practical applications, including cancer treatment, where they are used to deliver high-energy radiation to kill cancer cells. They are also used in scientific research, such as particle physics, where they are used to study the fundamental building blocks of matter. Other applications include industrial processes, such as sterilization and materials testing, and in security systems for scanning cargo and luggage for contraband items.