A question about differential form

In summary: But it will not work on nonorientable manifolds. So I think we need a different argument.In summary, it is impossible to extend a smooth, closed ##n-1## form on ##R^n - 0## to a continuous form on all of ##R^n##. This can be shown through Stokes Theorem and the fact that the form is of the form ##π^{*}(ω) + dφ##, which cannot be extended continuously to the origin. Other arguments may be needed for nonorientable manifolds.
Suppose x ∈ Ω^(n−1)(Rn \{0}) is closed and the integral of x on S^(n-1) equals to 1. I am stuck on how to show
there does not exist an n − 1 form y ∈ Ω(n−1)(R^n) with y|R^n\{0} = x.

Physics news on Phys.org
1591238460 said:
Suppose ##x ∈ Ω^{n−1}(R^n - 0)## is closed and the integral of ##x## on ##S^{n-1}## equals to 1. I am stuck on how to show
there does not exist an ##n − 1## form ##y ∈ Ω^{n−1}(R^n)## with ##y|R^n - 0 = x##.

Stokes Theorem says that the extension of this form to all of ##R^n## integrated over the sphere equals the integral of its exterior derivative over the interior region bounded by the sphere. Since it is closed on ##R^n - 0##, its exterior derivative integrates to zero on the interior of the sphere.

Last edited:
Dear Lavinia, thank you!

some restrictions like "smooth" belong in some of these sentences or else there does exist an extension that does not satisfy stokes' thorem. (I see now it depends on your definition of the symbol Omega.)

Last edited:
mathwonk said:
some restrictions like "smooth" belong in sone of these sentences or else there does exist an extension that does not satisfy stokes' thorem.
Right. By extension to a differential form, smooth is implicit.

Last edited:
Aha!, I have finally re - read the OP's question carefully enough to see he did not use the word "form", but rather a symbolic omega notation for them. And no doubt in his book this notation was reserved for smooth forms. So you guys are right. Before answering I should have asked for the definition of big Omega.But I still like hypotheses in my theorems. Let me ilustrate by precising the OP's question: assuming the original form was smooth, 1) does there exist any extension? 2) does there exist a smooth extension? 3) does there exist a continuous (but not necessarily smooth) extension?

Last edited:
mathwonk said:
But I still like hypotheses in my theorems. Let me ilustrate by precising the OP's question: assuming the original form was smooth, 1) does there exist any extension? 2) does there exist a smooth extension? 3) does there exist a continuous (but not necessarily smooth) extension?

-There is always a discontinuous extension. Give it any value at the origin.
-By Stokes Theorem, there is no smooth extension. There is not even a continuously differentiable extension.

-One cannot extend the form to a continuous form on all of ##R^n##
Since the form integrates to 1 on the unit sphere and is closed, it integrates to 1 on every sphere centered at the origin. This means that it is of the form
##π^{*}(ω) + dφ## where ##ω## is the volume element of the unit sphere and ##π## is radial projection. ##dφ## is the exterior derivative of an ##n-2## form. ##π^{*}(ω)## can not be extended to the origin continuously. If ,for instance,one evaluates the form on a constant (n-1)-tuple of tangent vectors to ##R^n## - e.g. in the plane, the constant vector field that points parallel to the x-axis - one sees that there is no limit at the origin. One still needs to show that one can not fix things with ##dφ##.

Last edited:
nice. iw as thinking of using stokes on a ball with small ball removed about the origin, then taking a limit. since the integral over the boundary of the small ball goes to zero (by continuity of the extension), you get the same result as if the extension were smooth at the origin.

mathwonk said:
nice. iw as thinking of using stokes on a ball with small ball removed about the origin, then taking a limit. since the integral over the boundary of the small ball goes to zero (by continuity of the extension), you get the same result as if the extension were smooth at the origin.

Lovely idea.

Last edited:

Related to A question about differential form

1. What is a differential form?

A differential form is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus and differential geometry. It represents a quantity that can vary in different directions and is typically expressed as a combination of differentials (dx, dy, dz) and coefficients.

2. How is a differential form different from a differential equation?

A differential equation involves the relationship between a function and its derivatives, while a differential form is an expression that can be integrated over a region to give a numerical value. In other words, a differential equation is a statement about a function, whereas a differential form is a quantity that can be integrated.

3. What is the use of differential forms in physics?

Differential forms are used in physics to describe physical quantities such as electric and magnetic fields, fluid flow, and energy. They provide a concise and elegant way to express these quantities and their relationships, making them useful in fields such as electromagnetism, fluid mechanics, and general relativity.

4. Can differential forms be applied to higher dimensions?

Yes, differential forms can be applied to any number of dimensions. In fact, they are particularly useful in higher dimensions where traditional methods of integration may become cumbersome. In these cases, differential forms provide a more efficient and elegant way to integrate over a region.

5. How do I learn more about differential forms?

If you are interested in learning more about differential forms, you can start by studying multivariable calculus and differential geometry. There are also many books and online resources available that provide a comprehensive introduction to differential forms and their applications in various fields of mathematics and physics.