A question about centripetal acceleration

In summary, the centripetal acceleration on a bridge is supposed to be pointing up, but according to one teacher the opposite is true. The centripetal acceleration on a pit/hole is supposed to be pointing up, but according to one teacher the opposite is true. Gravity is involved, although you did not mention it in your diagrams. The centripetal acceleration is not a real force, it is supplied by a real force (weight or the normal reaction force). If you were to only draw the real forces then you would only have weight and the normal force.
fawk3s
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/4817/aholelol.png
http://img532.imageshack.us/img532/881/bridgelol.png

There are 2 images. Let ac be the centripetal acceleration vector and v the speed vector.

Now are my drawing right or have I gotten this whole thing wrong?
My teacher said that the centripetal acceleration on the bridge would be pointed up. And that would make the object weigh less.
I, on the other hand, think its because of the inertia of the body.
And the same thing in the pit/hole. Imo it should be pointed up, but my teacher claims the opposite.

Have I understood this whole thing wrong?

Thanks in advance,
fawk3s

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Centripetal acceleration means a "center pointing" acceleration. With respect to an inertial frame, the object on top of the bridge is experiencing a centripetal acceleration pointing towards the center of the curve. When the object is at the bottom of the pit the centripetal acceleration is pointing up toward the center of the curve. When at the top the body will experience less weight, and when at the bottom it will experience more weight.

e2m2a said:
Centripetal acceleration means a "center pointing" acceleration. With respect to an inertial frame, the object on top of the bridge is experiencing a centripetal acceleration pointing towards the center of the curve. When the object is at the bottom of the pit the centripetal acceleration is pointing up toward the center of the curve. When at the top the body will experience less weight, and when at the bottom it will experience more weight.

So my drawings are correct and my teacher made a mistake?

I'm assuming gravity is involved here, although you left it out in the diagrams. In the first case, centripetal acceleration opposes gravity, increasing the force the pit applies to the object. In the second case, centripetal acceleration is in the direction of gravity (it's gravity causing the centripetal acceleration), reducing the force applied to the object by the bridge.

Im a tad confused here now. When the centipetal acceleration opposes gravity, isn't the objects weight supposed to reduce? And vice versa with the bridge?

Thanks in advance,
fawk3s

fawk3s said:
Im a tad confused here now. When the centipetal acceleration opposes gravity, isn't the objects weight supposed to reduce? And vice versa with the bridge?
The force of gravity is downwards. For an object at rest on a surface, then the force exerted by the surface onto the object, and by the object exerted onto the surface equals the weight of the object. If the surface is accelerating upwards (opposing gravity), then the apparent "weight" of the object increases. If the surface is accelerating downwards (in the same direction of gravity), then the apparent "weight" of the object decreases.

Alright. I've been thinking about this one and here is my attempt at an explanation...

The centripetal force is not a real force, it must be supplied by a real force such as (in this case) weight, or the normal reaction force.

If you were to draw your diagram with just the real forces then you would only have weight and the normal force. The result of these (the net force) supplies the centripetal force keeping the object on the circular path. So...

Centripetal force = net force = weight + normal force

At the bottom of a dip the weight is in the opposite direction to the required net force, so the normal force must be larger to supply the net force.

At the top of the hump the weight force is in the same direction as the required net force. So some of the weight force supplies this leaving a smaller normal reaction force.

Using the formulas...

Bottom

net force (up) = -weight (down) + normal (up) (upward forces are positive)
so normal = net force + weight
or normal = required centripetal force + weight

net force (down) = weight (down) + -normal (up) (downward forces are positive)
so normal = weight - net force
or normal = weight - required centripetal force

Notes:
The apparent weight is given by the size of the normal force.
I think your diagram is correct.
I think you are on the right track. It's all a result of inertia - the object would prefer to travel in a straight line. The centripetal force must be supplied (from somewhere) to make it follow a curved path.

A simplified summary: The centripetal force is supplied by real forces; the weight at the top of a curved vertical path and the normal at the bottom.

Does this help?

Related to A question about centripetal acceleration

What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that an object experiences when it is moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude depends on the speed and radius of the object's motion.

What is the formula for calculating centripetal acceleration?

The formula for calculating centripetal acceleration is a = v2 / r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the speed of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

How does centripetal acceleration relate to circular motion?

Centripetal acceleration is necessary for circular motion to occur. It is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, as without it, the object would move in a straight line tangent to the circle.

What are some real-life examples of centripetal acceleration?

A few examples of centripetal acceleration in daily life include the motion of a car around a curve, the rotation of a Ferris wheel, and the orbit of planets around the sun.

What is the difference between centripetal acceleration and centrifugal force?

Centripetal acceleration is a real, measurable acceleration that is directed towards the center of a circle. Centrifugal force, on the other hand, is a fictitious force that appears to act on an object moving in a circular path, but in reality, it is just the inertia of the object trying to keep it moving in a straight line.