A question about Analytical Mechanics

In summary, there is a question about the use of generalized coordinates in Analytical Mechanics. While the variation in x-coordinate cannot be zero due to division, the variation in generalized coordinates can be zero. This is because the derivation of Lagrange's equations relies on the possibility of any variation in generalized coordinates. Weinstock's book provides a comprehensive explanation on this topic.
enricfemi
i am studing Analytical Mechanics in these days.it is really amazing. but a question pazzles me .it seems:

to generalized coordinates q,δq is arbitrary,it can equal 0;while variation in the x-coordinate, δx is not.

i just cann't understand

Physics news on Phys.org
In variation, delta x cannot be zero because you eventually divide by it.

could you concretely explain why delta q can be zero.

thank you very much!

i think when x is changed ,q should be also change.

help ,help ,can anybody help me?

It depends on what your generalized coordinates are.

The derivation with variations like [tex]\delta q_i [/tex] depends on the variation possibly being anything at all. Lagrange's equations arise from the fact that you have a product of two functions in an integral that equals zero. Since the variation in the generalized coordinates could, in general, be anything, the other function has to be uniformly zero. Weinstock's book in Dover edition covers this point quite nicely.

Related to A question about Analytical Mechanics

1. What is Analytical Mechanics?

Analytical Mechanics is a branch of physics that focuses on the study of motion and the forces that cause that motion. It uses mathematical methods to analyze and describe the behavior of physical systems, such as particles, rigid bodies, and fluids.

2. What are the main principles of Analytical Mechanics?

The main principles of Analytical Mechanics are the principle of least action, the principle of virtual work, and the Hamiltonian and Lagrangian formalisms. These principles provide a framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of physical systems.

3. How is Analytical Mechanics different from Classical Mechanics?

Analytical Mechanics is a more advanced and rigorous version of Classical Mechanics. While Classical Mechanics mainly deals with Newton's laws of motion and the concept of forces, Analytical Mechanics uses mathematical methods to generalize and extend these concepts to more complex systems.

4. What are some applications of Analytical Mechanics?

Analytical Mechanics has a wide range of applications in fields such as engineering, astronomy, and robotics. It is used to design and analyze mechanical systems, predict the motion of celestial bodies, and develop control systems for robots.

5. What skills are needed to understand Analytical Mechanics?

To understand Analytical Mechanics, one needs a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra. A solid understanding of classical mechanics and physics principles is also necessary.