A problem with display on an oscilloscope

In summary: You may need to consult a technician for further assistance with troubleshooting and repairs. In summary, the speaker has acquired an older LeCroy oscilloscope that used to work but now has an orange screen. The display is not taking up the entire screen and the menus are not visible. They are seeking advice on how to fix this issue.
Melawrghk
Hi!

I have acquired an older LeCroy oscilloscope from someone. It used to work, but now when I plug it in, the screen is orange (normally letters and lines and things are orange, but now the whole length of the screen is). It doesn't take up the entire screen, but I cannot see any menus where they should have been either.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? It still prints out waveforms on paper, just the display is being a jerk. I haven't been able to find much online.

Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Melawrghk said:
Hi!

I have acquired an older LeCroy oscilloscope from someone. It used to work, but now when I plug it in, the screen is orange (normally letters and lines and things are orange, but now the whole length of the screen is). It doesn't take up the entire screen, but I cannot see any menus where they should have been either.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? It still prints out waveforms on paper, just the display is being a jerk. I haven't been able to find much online.

Thanks in advance!

That sounds like excess brightness. It may be that the brightness or "intensity" control has been wound up too high, or there may be a fault in the circuitry that provides voltage for the Cathode Ray tube (if it uses one) or the LCD display.

Related to A problem with display on an oscilloscope

1. What could be causing the display on my oscilloscope to be distorted or unreadable?

There are a few potential causes for this issue. It could be due to a faulty connection between the oscilloscope and the device being measured, a defective display screen, or incorrect settings on the oscilloscope itself. It's important to check all of these possibilities before assuming there is a problem with the oscilloscope.

2. How can I troubleshoot a display problem on my oscilloscope?

First, check the connections between the oscilloscope and the device being measured. Make sure all cables are securely connected and there are no loose connections. Next, try adjusting the settings on the oscilloscope, such as the vertical and horizontal scales, to see if that improves the display. If the issue persists, it may be a hardware problem and you may need to contact the manufacturer for further assistance.

3. My oscilloscope display is flickering, what could be causing this?

This could be caused by a few different factors. It could be due to a loose or damaged connection, a failing display screen, or electromagnetic interference from nearby electronic devices. Try moving the oscilloscope to a different location and see if the flickering stops. If not, check the connections and consider replacing the display screen.

4. Can a problem with the display on an oscilloscope affect the accuracy of the measurements?

Yes, if the display is distorted or unreadable, it can affect the accuracy of the measurements. It's important to make sure the display is functioning properly before taking any measurements. If you suspect a problem with the display, it's best to troubleshoot and resolve the issue before proceeding with any measurements.

5. Is it possible to repair a faulty display on an oscilloscope?

In some cases, it may be possible to repair a faulty display on an oscilloscope. This would depend on the specific issue and the availability of replacement parts. It's recommended to consult the manufacturer or a professional technician for assistance with repairing the display. In some cases, it may be more cost-effective to replace the oscilloscope altogether.