A point charge inside a dielectric sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with calculating the potential of a point charge inside a sphere with different dielectric constants. The solution involves using symmetry and Gauß' law instead of an image charge.
eahaidar
Hello again
I seen in this forum about this problem but not in the special case when the point charge is at the center of the sphere how do I solve the series legendre polynomials?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a simpler version of the general problem - you can apply the general solution, but you can just use the symmetry and the usual laws for electric fields (what exactly do you want to calculate?).

I need to solve the potential of a point charge in side a sphere of epsilon1 while outside with epsilon 2 if I use series solution I get r power over zero so I thought it's wrong any thoughts ??

Well r0 is just a constant.

You can simply use the symmetry and Gauß' law here.

But usually if they have same epsilon okay I can find the image charge and then find the potential but what happens with different epsilon ?

You try to make this way too complicated... there is no need for any image charge.

Related to A point charge inside a dielectric sphere

1. What is a point charge?

A point charge is a hypothetical charge that is considered to be concentrated at a single point in space. It is a simplification used in physics and is often represented by a mathematical symbol, such as q.

2. What is a dielectric sphere?

A dielectric sphere is a solid object made of a non-conductive material that can store and transmit electric charge. It is often used in physics experiments and is commonly found in electronic devices.

3. How does a point charge behave inside a dielectric sphere?

A point charge inside a dielectric sphere experiences a force that is dependent on the dielectric constant of the material, the distance between the charge and the center of the sphere, and the charge of the particle. This force can either attract or repel the charge, depending on the properties of the materials involved.

4. What is the purpose of studying a point charge inside a dielectric sphere?

Studying a point charge inside a dielectric sphere can help scientists understand how electric fields interact with different materials and how to manipulate and control these interactions for practical applications. It can also provide insights into the behavior of charged particles in different environments.

5. What are some real-world applications of a point charge inside a dielectric sphere?

Understanding the behavior of a point charge inside a dielectric sphere has practical applications in many fields, including electronics, telecommunications, and medical imaging. It is also useful in studying and developing new materials for use in energy storage and transmission.