A Mathematical Mystery Revealed

In summary, a very interesting article discusses the author's concern about humans broadcasting the value of pi as a way to demonstrate intelligence to extraterrestrial life. The author suggests using a new symbol, "newpi," to represent 2pi, which could simplify certain equations. However, others argue that this change may not be necessary and could make some equations more complicated. Ultimately, the use of pi or a new symbol is a matter of personal preference and aesthetic appeal.
CGUE
A very interesting article for all.

http://www.math.utah.edu/~palais/pi.html

Quote from the article:
"What really worries me is that the first thing we broadcast to the cosmos to demonstrate our 'intelligence' is 3.14... I am a bit concerned about what the lifeforms who receive it will do after they stop laughing..."

It's saying e.g.

cos(x + π) = cos(x) ?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
CGUE said:
It's saying e.g.

cos(x + π) = cos(x) ?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

No it's not; he's just defined some new symbol (a pi sign with three 'legs') to be equal to 2pi, and is then saying that cos(x+newpi)=cos(x).

This doesn't really change anything!

While the article's name is terrible (and the article itself isn't all that well written), he does have a point. I can't think of anywhere I've found [itex]\pi[/itex] to be more useful than [itex]2\pi[/itex]. It would simplify a lot of things, and, if I did mathematics in a vacuum and never had to interact with anyone else, I'd strongly consider inventing a symbol for [itex]2\pi[/itex] and using that everywhere instead of [itex]\pi[/itex]

Of course the difference between them is always related by a factor of 2 (or some power), so pi itself isn't that clumsy. But it's similar to the way that physicists decided that [itex]\hbar[/itex] is slightly less clumsy than h

I have some sympathy for Palais' point, but then again, why bother overmuch?
Many formulae will become uglier, rather than prettier, with the new pi-symbol, not the least Euler's identity. :smile:

arildno said:
I have some sympathy for Palais' point, but then again, why bother overmuch?
Many formulae will become uglier, rather than prettier, with the new pi-symbol, not the least Euler's identity. :smile:

Maybe I'm just being clouded by the earliness of the day and maybe I just haven't had enough advanced mathematics to appreciate the choice of pi over 2pi, but I can't think of any formulas that would be more ugly. To me, Euler's identity looks better as [itex]e^{is}=1[/itex] (where s = 2pi) and [itex]e^{\frac{1}{2}is}=-1[/itex] because it better mirrors how you use it. Euler's formula projects an angle onto the unit circle in the complex plane. [itex]e^{is}=1[/itex] expresses that a full turn is the same as doing nothing at all while [itex]e^{\frac{1}{2}is}=-1[/itex] expresses that a half turn is the same as turning around.

(Sorry to "argue" about this... It's not that I have anything invested in the conversation; I'm just bored and have nothing else to do at this time of day lol)

This has been discussed before. [itex]\pi[/itex] was originally defined as the ratio of circumference to diameter. Why not "circumference to radius"? Because it is much easier to actually measure the diameter of a circle- especially if the "circle" in question is a long tree trunk. Even with a mathematical "circle", determining the radius involves either first finding the diameter (and then dividing by 2) or first finding the center of the circle. Just finding the diameter is much easier.

I thought that new pi looked like pi overstruck with tau, or perhaps tau-pi.

There would also be the case of using 2[itex]\tau\!\pi[/itex] where one would use 4[itex]\pi[/itex]. So I don't see an advantage of introducing a new symbol.

cristo said:
No it's not; he's just defined some new symbol (a pi sign with three 'legs') to be equal to 2pi, and is then saying that cos(x+newpi)=cos(x).

This doesn't really change anything!

I have always been amused by how the picture of a square pie was such a great help in remembering how to determine the area of a circle, but now that my square pie might have three legs, is really a hoot!:smile:

Astronuc said:
There would also be the case of using 2[itex]\tau\!\pi[/itex] where one would use 4[itex]\pi[/itex]. So I don't see an advantage of introducing a new symbol.
Sure... but how often does one reaaally talk about surface area?

HallsofIvy: I was thinking more from a mathematical aesthetic point of view, but there are definitely a lot more engineers than there are mathematicians!

LukeD said:
Sure... but how often does one reaaally talk about surface area?
Who mentioned surface area?

I propose that we use the symbol "toopie" to represent this quantity. Toopie is, of course, the symbol [itex]2\pi[/itex]. It's apparent similarity to the product expression of 2 with [itex]\pi[/itex] is an added convenience.

Hurkyl said:
I propose that we use the symbol "toopie" to represent this quantity. Toopie is, of course, the symbol [itex]2\pi[/itex]. It's apparent similarity to the product expression of 2 with [itex]\pi[/itex] is an added convenience.
:smile:

You nerds. Stop tagging this thing with pi with ever increasing significant digits or the number of tags will approach infinity!

Related to A Mathematical Mystery Revealed

1) What is "A Mathematical Mystery Revealed"?

"A Mathematical Mystery Revealed" is a book written by renowned mathematician and science writer Marcus du Sautoy. It explores the fascinating world of mathematics and delves into some of the most intriguing mathematical mysteries throughout history.

2) Who is the intended audience for this book?

The book is intended for anyone with an interest in mathematics, from students and educators to casual readers who are curious about the subject. It is written in an accessible and engaging style, making it suitable for a wide range of readers.

3) What makes this book different from other books about mathematics?

"A Mathematical Mystery Revealed" is unique in its approach to presenting mathematical concepts. Instead of just explaining the theories and equations, the book tells stories and uses real-life examples to show how mathematics is applicable and relevant in our everyday lives.

4) How does the author unravel the mysteries in this book?

The author uses a combination of historical context, explanations of mathematical theories, and engaging storytelling to unravel the mysteries in the book. He also provides insights into how these mathematical concepts have been used to solve real-world problems and make groundbreaking discoveries.

5) Is this book suitable for someone with no background in mathematics?

Yes, this book is suitable for readers with no prior knowledge of mathematics. The author does an excellent job of breaking down complex concepts into easy-to-understand explanations, making it accessible for readers of all levels. However, some basic understanding of math concepts may help readers fully grasp some of the more advanced topics discussed in the book.