A mass spring system w/ recoil and Friction ?

In summary, the spring constant, k, can be expressed as [8*(mu)^2*g^2*m]/v^2, where m is the mass of the object, mu is the coefficient of kinetic friction, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and v is the initial velocity of the object. This is determined by using the work-energy theorem and considering the work done by friction on the object as it compresses and recoils the spring.
gills

Homework Statement

An object of mass, m, is traveling on a horizontal surface. There is a coefficient of kinetic friction, mu , between the object and the surface. The object has speed, v, when it reaches x=0 and encounters a spring. The object compresses the spring, stops, and then recoils and travels in the opposite direction. When the object reaches x=0 on its return trip, it stops.

Find k, the spring constant.
Express k in terms of mu , m, g, and v.

Homework Equations

Work-energy theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the work-energy theorem must be used in this problem. What is throwing me off is the friction i think because of the x and because it's a two stage problem? Not quite sure. Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The mass m initially passes x=0 with velocity v, from which one determines the kinetic energy. If the system were frictionless the spring would compress then rebound and the mass would pass with velocity v.

But with friction, it returns to x = 0 with v = 0, and therefore no kinetic energy. The spring only stores energy. Where did the kinetic energy go?

Remember work is force over distance. When the spring compresses some length L, what is the work/energy dissipated by the friction? What is then stored in the spring at deflection L? What happens on the recoil?

What I'm working with right now:

--Net energy after the whole process (i.e. after the compression and recoil of spring):

E_f - E_i = W_nc

= 0 - (1/2)mv^2 = -mu*mg*2x (2x because it moves over the x distance twice-compression and recoil)

x = v^2/(4mu*g) -----> spring compression

--Net energy up until compressed spring:

E_f - E_i = W_nc

=(1/2)kx^2 - (1/2)mv^2 = -mu*mg*x

-->k = [m(v^2 - mu*g*x)]/x^2

Then to get rid of x variable I subbed in the x I solved in first eq. and i ended up with:

k = (12m*(mu)^2*g^2)/v^2

That's the best I've got so far. According to the answers in the back of my book, I'm only off by a multiplicative factor. I can't seem to find where that is.

got the answer. I was making a stupid algebraic mistake.

Answer is = [8*(mu)^2*g^2*m]/v^2

Related to A mass spring system w/ recoil and Friction ?

1. What is a mass spring system?

A mass spring system is a physical system that consists of a mass attached to a spring. The mass is able to move horizontally or vertically, and the spring provides a restoring force that brings the mass back to its equilibrium position. This system is commonly used to model the behavior of various mechanical systems, such as pendulums or car suspensions.

2. What is recoil in a mass spring system?

Recoil in a mass spring system refers to the backward motion of the mass after it has reached its maximum displacement. This occurs due to the conservation of momentum, where the energy stored in the spring is released and causes the mass to move in the opposite direction.

3. How does friction affect a mass spring system?

Friction plays a significant role in a mass spring system as it opposes the motion of the mass and decreases its amplitude over time. This results in the system losing energy and eventually reaching a state of equilibrium where the amplitude of the mass's motion becomes constant.

4. What factors affect the frequency of a mass spring system?

The frequency of a mass spring system is affected by two main factors: the mass of the object attached to the spring and the stiffness of the spring. A higher mass or stiffer spring will result in a lower frequency, while a lower mass or less stiff spring will result in a higher frequency.

5. How does damping impact the behavior of a mass spring system?

Damping, or the dissipation of energy, can significantly affect the behavior of a mass spring system. In an underdamped system, the mass will oscillate with decreasing amplitude until it reaches a state of equilibrium. In an overdamped system, the mass will take longer to reach equilibrium and will not oscillate. In a critically damped system, the mass will reach equilibrium quickly without any oscillations.