A limit involving a recurrent sequence: a(n+1)=a(n)*(a(n)+4)

In summary, we are trying to compute the limit of a sequence (an)(1/(2n)) where an+1=an(an+4) and a1≥0. After some attempts, it is found that the limit depends on a0 and cannot be solved easily. However, by rewriting the limit as a series and finding an expression for an in terms of a1, the limit can be approximated for very large a1.
anachin6000

Homework Statement

Let (an)n≥1 be a sequence with a1≥0 and an+1=an(an+4), n≥1. Compute limn→∞ (an)(1/(2n)).

Homework Equations

a1≥0
an+1=an(an+4), n≥1
L = limn→∞ (an)(1/(2n))

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly, I had tried to see if an can be expressed only in terms of a1, but I couldn't get something out of this idea.

Then, I used the root criterion:
an+1/an = an+4 → 4 + l, where limn→∞ an = l ∈ℝ∪{-∞,∞}
⇒ limn→∞ (an)1/n = 4 + l
But L= limn→∞ (an)(1/(2n)) = (limn→∞ (an)1/n)limn→∞ n/(2n) = (4 + l)0
So:
- if l∈ℝ\{-4}, then L=1
- and if l∈{-∞, -4,∞}, then L is a ∞0 or 00 indeterminate.

Though, the sequence is either constant (equal to 0) if a1 = 0 (so L=1) or has limn→∞ an = +∞ (a1 > 0) if, so the job is not done.

Knowing that I have to deal with a ∞0, I rewrote the limit as follows:
L= limn→∞ (an)(1/(2n)) = limn→∞ eln[(an)(1/(2n))] = elimn→∞ (ln(an))/(2n)
So everything gets down to computing L'=limn→∞ (ln(an))/(2n)

This is where I got stuck. I tried to use the root criterion again, I tried Stoltz-Cesaro Theorem, both with no success.

Can anyone help me compute this limit or at least give me a direction to continue?

Physics news on Phys.org
A very interesting problem. With some examples, I found very good approximations for very small and very large a1, and a good approximation over the whole range, but nothing that would fit exactly.

For very large a1, it is possible to identify the leading contributions (the highest powers of a), and develop a formula for the limit. That is not exact, but the error goes to zero for a1 to infinity.

Likes anachin6000
It helps to write [itex]a_{n+1} = a_n^2(1 + \frac{4}{a_n})[/itex] and set [itex]b_n = \frac{\log a_n}{2^n}[/itex] so that [tex]
b_{n+1} - b_n = \frac{1}{2^{n+1}} \log \left( 1 + \frac{4}{a_n} \right).
[/tex] Now [itex]a_n \to \infty[/itex] for any [itex]a_1 > 0[/itex], so there exists [itex]N \in \mathbb{N}[/itex] such that if [itex]n \geq N[/itex] then [itex]a_n > \frac{4}{e^2 - 1}[/itex]. Hence for [itex]n \geq N[/itex] we have [tex]
b_{n+1} - b_n = \frac{1}{2^{n+1}} \log \left( 1 + \frac{4}{a_n} \right) < \frac{1}{2^n}.[/tex] But then [itex]b_n[/itex] is cauchy, and so converges to some finite limit. It is possible that the exact limit depends on [itex]a_1[/itex] though, which is awkward.

EDIT: Since we know [itex]b_{n+1} - b_n[/itex] in terms of [itex]a_n[/itex] we can immediately sum from [itex]n=1[/itex] to [itex]n=N-1[/itex] to obtain [tex]
b_N = b_1 + \sum_{n=1}^{N-1} \frac{1}{2^{n+1}} \log \left( 1 + \frac{4}{a_n} \right)[/tex] and hence write down an expression for [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty} a_n^{1/2^n}[/itex]. Then all we need is an expression for [itex]a_n[/itex] in terms of [itex]a_1[/itex].

Last edited:
Likes anachin6000
pasmith said:
Then all we need is an expression for [itex]a_n[/itex] in terms of [itex]a_1[/itex].
If we get that, where is the point in bn? You would replace a direct limit (take that expression to the power of 1/(2n)) with a series.

The limit does depend on a0 in a nontrivial way.

Related to A limit involving a recurrent sequence: a(n+1)=a(n)*(a(n)+4)

1. What is a recurrent sequence?

A recurrent sequence is a sequence of numbers where each term is defined in terms of the previous term. In other words, the value of a(n+1) is calculated using the value of a(n).

2. Why is the expression a(n+1)=a(n)*(a(n)+4) used in this limit?

This expression is used because it is the recursive formula for the given recurrent sequence. It allows us to easily calculate the next term in the sequence based on the previous term, making it useful for finding limits involving this type of sequence.

3. What is the limit of this recurrent sequence?

The limit of this recurrent sequence depends on the initial value of a(0). If a(0) is a positive value, the sequence will approach positive infinity. If a(0) is a negative value, the sequence will approach negative infinity. If a(0) is 0, the sequence will approach 0.

4. How can the limit of this recurrent sequence be found?

The limit of this recurrent sequence can be found by simply plugging in the initial value of a(0) into the recursive formula and calculating the next few terms until a pattern emerges. Alternatively, mathematical techniques such as the squeeze theorem or L'Hopital's rule can be used to find the limit.

5. What are some real-life applications of recurrent sequences?

Recurrent sequences have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to model population growth, interest rates, and the behavior of complex systems. They are also commonly used in computer programming and data analysis.