A lead ball is dropped into a lake

In summary, a lead ball is dropped into a lake from a diving board 5.0m above the water. It hits the water with a constant velocity and reaches the bottom of the lake after 3.0 seconds. The problem can be solved in two parts: first, determining the time and speed of the ball's descent to the surface of the water, and then using this information to calculate the distance it travels in the remaining time to reach the bottom of the lake.
Phoenixtears

Homework Statement

A lead ball is dropped into a lake from a diving baord 5.0m above the water. After entering the water, it sinks to the bottom with a constant velocity equal to the velocity with which it hit the water. The ball reaches the bottom 3.0 s after it released. How deep is the lake?

Homework Equations

at-V1= -V2
X=V0*t + (at^2)/2
(V1)^2= V0^2 + 2ax

The Attempt at a Solution

Really, aside from finding variables, I need help with the question itself. I'm having a huge debate with another student in the class about what the problem means. I take it as if the velocity increases during the fall towards the water, and then the ball slows drastically (due to the force against the ball by hitting the water) and then the ball stays consisten in the water. Though should I take into account the laws of nature that I know, even though it's introductory? The other student believes that the velocity is constant throughout the entire trip down. Meaning that when it hits the water it stays constant. Could it be a mix of these two? Perhaps the velocity increases and then stays constant after hitting the water?

The variables I already have are a= -9.8 m/s/s, and t=3. Now this is where I'm having trouble, delta-x cannot equal -5 for that is only part the way down. So I'm left with two solid variables where I need three to solve each equation. Suggestions?

~Phoenix

Physics news on Phys.org
Phoenixtears said:

Homework Statement

A lead ball is dropped into a lake from a diving baord 5.0m above the water. After entering the water, it sinks to the bottom with a constant velocity equal to the velocity with which it hit the water. The ball reaches the bottom 3.0 s after it released. How deep is the lake?

Homework Equations

at-V1= -V2
X=V0*t + (at^2)/2
(V1)^2= V0^2 + 2ax

The Attempt at a Solution

Really, aside from finding variables, I need help with the question itself. I'm having a huge debate with another student in the class about what the problem means. I take it as if the velocity increases during the fall towards the water, and then the ball slows drastically (due to the force against the ball by hitting the water) and then the ball stays consisten in the water. Though should I take into account the laws of nature that I know, even though it's introductory? The other student believes that the velocity is constant throughout the entire trip down. Meaning that when it hits the water it stays constant. Could it be a mix of these two? Perhaps the velocity increases and then stays constant after hitting the water?

The variables I already have are a= -9.8 m/s/s, and t=3. Now this is where I'm having trouble, delta-x cannot equal -5 for that is only part the way down. So I'm left with two solid variables where I need three to solve each equation. Suggestions?

~Phoenix

You should take the problem in 2 parts. The weight drops to the surface of the water accelerated by gravity. How long does that take to hit the surface? What speed is the ball going at that point?

Next part knowing speed and knowing how much time remains in your time budget of 3 seconds ... let's see you have speed and you have time ... any idea on how to figure distance?

I would approach this problem by first clarifying the question and making sure all the necessary information is provided. It is important to have a clear understanding of the problem before attempting to solve it. In this case, the question is asking for the depth of the lake, but the given information only includes the height of the diving board and the time it takes for the ball to reach the bottom. It does not mention the distance the ball travels horizontally before hitting the water or the angle at which it enters the water. Without this information, it is impossible to accurately determine the depth of the lake.

Assuming that the ball is dropped straight down from the diving board and enters the water at a 90 degree angle, we can use the equation X=V0*t + (at^2)/2 to solve for the total distance traveled by the ball. Since we know the initial velocity (V0=0) and the time it takes for the ball to reach the bottom (t=3), we can calculate the distance traveled in the air before entering the water. This distance will be equal to the height of the diving board (5.0m).

Once the ball enters the water, it will experience a change in velocity due to the resistance of the water. However, without knowing the mass of the ball or the force acting on it, we cannot accurately determine the velocity of the ball once it enters the water. Therefore, it is not possible to calculate the depth of the lake using the given information.

In conclusion, as a scientist, I would recommend asking for clarification on the given information or looking for other sources of information to accurately solve this problem. It is important to always consider the limitations of the given information and use logical reasoning to determine what can and cannot be accurately calculated.

Related to A lead ball is dropped into a lake

1. What happens to the lead ball when it is dropped into the lake?

When a lead ball is dropped into a lake, it will sink to the bottom due to its high density. This is because the water in the lake is less dense than the lead ball, causing the ball to displace the water as it sinks.

2. Does the lead ball create a splash when it hits the water?

Yes, the lead ball will create a splash when it hits the water. This is due to the displacement of the water molecules as the ball enters the lake, causing a ripple effect and creating the splash.

3. How does the depth of the lake affect the speed of the lead ball as it sinks?

The depth of the lake will not significantly affect the speed of the lead ball as it sinks. Gravity is the main force acting on the ball, causing it to accelerate towards the bottom of the lake at a constant rate regardless of the depth.

4. Will the lead ball eventually reach the bottom of the lake?

Yes, the lead ball will eventually reach the bottom of the lake. This is because the force of gravity will continue to act on the ball, causing it to sink until it reaches a point where the buoyant force of the water is equal to the weight of the ball.

5. How does the lead ball's shape affect its movement in the lake?

The shape of the lead ball does not significantly affect its movement in the lake. As long as the ball's density is higher than the water, it will sink to the bottom regardless of its shape. However, a more aerodynamic shape may result in less resistance and a faster sinking speed.