A General Question about Inertia

In summary, the textbook explains that the inertia for a slender uniform rod is (1/3)ML^2 and for a uniform solid cylinder is (1/2)MR^2. However, when considering a thin disk and a thin rod with the same mass and length, they have different inertia values. This is because the rod has the same mass distributed evenly while the cylinder has most of its mass on the outside, resulting in a different proportion of mass for each infinitesimal piece. This is due to the different formulas for rods and cylinders.
student34

Homework Statement

My textbook says that I = (1/3)ML^2 for a slender uniform rod, and I = (1/2)MR^2 for a uniform solid cylinder.

So let's say that there is cylinder that is a thin disk with M = 5kg, and R = 7m. And let's say that a thin rod also is 5kg and has a length of 7m.

Why don't both objects have the same inertia?

Homework Equations

Inertia for a thin uniform rod is I = (1/3)ML^2.

Inertia for a thin uniform cylinder is I = (1/2)MR^2.

The Attempt at a Solution

My textbook says that some point mass circling an axis has the same inertia as a thin ring of the same mass (if this isn't true, then my issue in this thread is irrelevant).

So I will divide the mass of the rod into infinitesimally small masses dm. I should be able to do the same for the cylinder with each infinitely thin ring equaling dm. Apparently, a ring can be thought of as a point mass. Then the disk can be thought of as a thin rod with the same mass and the same length as the other. But rods and cylinders have different formulas.

Physics news on Phys.org
a wedge is a portion of a cylinder, so they'll have the same rotational inertia "fraction".
the uniform rod has each piece having the same mass (dm; half its mass on the outside half).
But the cylinder has most of its mass on the outside, where the circumference is longer,
so the pieces have dm proportional to (r/R).

Oh wow, thanks a lot!

Related to A General Question about Inertia

1. What is inertia?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. In other words, it is the resistance to any change in velocity, whether that is a change in speed or direction.

2. How is inertia related to mass?

Inertia is directly proportional to the mass of an object. This means that the more mass an object has, the more inertia it will have and the harder it will be to change its state of motion.

3. What are some examples of inertia in everyday life?

Some common examples of inertia include objects staying at rest until acted upon by an external force, the difficulty in stopping a moving object, and the feeling of being pushed back when a car accelerates.

4. What is the difference between inertia and momentum?

Inertia is an object's resistance to changes in motion, while momentum is a measure of an object's tendency to keep moving in the same direction. In other words, inertia is a property of an object, while momentum is a measure of an object's motion.

5. How does inertia affect the motion of objects in space?

In space, where there is no air resistance, inertia plays a significant role in the motion of objects. Objects in space will continue to move in a straight line with a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force, due to their inertia.