A general convergent series under different circumstances.

In summary, the conversation discusses the convergence of series and provides examples and counter-examples to determine the convergence of different types of series. The first question considers the convergence of Ʃln(1+an) and concludes that it cannot be determined based on the convergence of an alone. The second question examines the convergence of Ʃai^2 for alternating and non-negative series, and provides counter-examples to show that the convergence of the original series does not necessarily guarantee the convergence of its square.
uber_kim

Homework Statement

Ʃan (sum from n=1 to ∞) converges.

1) Determine whether the series Ʃln(1+an) (sum from n=1 to ∞) converges or diverges. Assume that an>0 for all n.

2) Show each of the following statements or give a counter-example that establishes that it is false:
a)Ʃai2 (sum i=1 to ∞) converges if the ai are alternating.
b)Ʃai2 converges if the ai are non-negative.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first question (1), if an converges, then the terms go to zero as n goes to ∞. This means that as n goes to ∞ for Ʃln(1+an), the series will diverge to -∞, because ln(0)=-∞. I'm not sure if that's right, and if that's a good enough proof. Any ideas?

For the second question (2a), if Ʃai converges, then the square should converge, but faster. I'm not sure how it alternating would effect the convergence, since the absolute value of the terms are still getting smaller as i gets bigger.

(2b) The same as the last one, I don't see how the terms being positive makes a difference, since the series is still converging. It just means that the terms don't dip below zero.

Not sure if I'm on the right track or not. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
uber_kim said:
For the first question (1), if an converges, then the terms go to zero as n goes to ∞. This means that as n goes to ∞ for Ʃln(1+an), the series will diverge to -∞, because ln(0)=-∞. I'm not sure if that's right, and if that's a good enough proof. Any ideas?
This isn't right. If [itex]a_n[/itex] goes to 0, then [itex]1 + a_n[/itex] goes to 1, so [itex]\ln(1 + a_n)[/itex] goes to zero. Thus you have not ruled out convergence.

For the second question (2a), if Ʃai converges, then the square should converge, but faster. I'm not sure how it alternating would effect the convergence, since the absolute value of the terms are still getting smaller as i gets bigger.
Consider an alternating series that converges, but not absolutely.

(2b) The same as the last one, I don't see how the terms being positive makes a difference, since the series is still converging. It just means that the terms don't dip below zero.
Hint: How does [itex]a_n^2[/itex] compare with [itex]a_n[/itex] if [itex]0 \leq a_n \leq 1[/itex]?

Related to A general convergent series under different circumstances.

1. What is a general convergent series?

A general convergent series is a mathematical series in which the terms of the series approach a finite limit as the number of terms increases. This means that the sum of all the terms in the series will eventually reach a fixed value.

2. What are the different circumstances under which a general convergent series can be studied?

A general convergent series can be studied under various circumstances, such as the types of terms in the series (e.g. positive, negative, alternating), the rate of convergence, and the presence of any conditions or constraints on the series.

3. How is the convergence of a general convergent series determined?

The convergence of a general convergent series can be determined by evaluating the limit of the series as the number of terms approaches infinity. If the limit exists and is a finite value, then the series is considered to be convergent.

4. What are some common tests used to determine the convergence of a general convergent series?

Some common tests used to determine the convergence of a general convergent series include the Ratio Test, the Comparison Test, the Integral Test, and the Alternating Series Test.

5. What is the significance of a general convergent series in mathematics?

A general convergent series is significant in mathematics because it allows for the representation and manipulation of infinite sums, which have many real-world applications. It also serves as a fundamental concept in calculus and other areas of mathematics.