A funny car accelerates from rest

In summary, the homework statement is saying that if the engine power is increased by 1.0W, the time it takes to go the same distance would be shortened by .502 seconds.
wbetting

Homework Statement

A funny car accelerates from rest through a measured track distance in time 21 s with the engine operating at a constant power 240 kW. If the track crew can increase the engine power by a differential amount 1.0 W, what is the change in the time required for the run?

I learned how to do the problem from the original problem: "A funny car accelerates from rest through a measured track distance in time T with the engine operating at a constant power P. If the track crew can increase the engine power by a differential amount dP, what is the change in the time required for the run?" but i do not know how to change it to a number answer. explained "variable" answer below (i only put last line that has final equation to use!

Differentiating the above equation gives dPT^ 3 + 3PT^2 dT = 0, or
dT = − T/dP * 3P how do i fill numbers into that^^? like how do i find the derivative of power if i know the actual number for power?

Homework Equations

dT= -T/dP * 3P

The Attempt at a Solution

We found how to solve equation without numbers but how to i solve to get one single number?like i know power and time but how do i take a derivative of a whole number?

Physics news on Phys.org
I kinda follow that, but I think of it quite differently. kW are like horsepower and horsepower is torque*rpm/5250. (So actually constant power acceleration would mean continuously decreasing acceleration).

The torque translates through the gears to force at the tires. That accelerates the car via F=ma.

If you have 241 kW instead of 240 kW, the car will accelerate 241/240 as fast.

The acceleration formula would be d = 05*a*t^2. To keep d the same, if a becomes 241/240 as much, then t^2 must become sqrt(240/241) as much.

Head_Unit said:
The acceleration formula would be d = 05*a*t^2.
That's the formula for constant acceleration, not constant power.

For constant power you start with

f = force
p = power
m = mass
v = velocity
a = accelertaion

a = f / m
p = f v

a = dv/dt = p / (m v)

v dv = (p/m) dt

and continue from there. The orignal post doesn't include equations for velocity or position versus time.

Last edited:
Head_Unit said:
I kinda follow that, but I think of it quite differently. kW are like horsepower and horsepower is torque*rpm/5250. (So actually constant power acceleration would mean continuously decreasing acceleration).

The torque translates through the gears to force at the tires. That accelerates the car via F=ma.

If you have 241 kW instead of 240 kW, the car will accelerate 241/240 as fast.

The acceleration formula would be d = 05*a*t^2. To keep d the same, if a becomes 241/240 as much, then t^2 must become sqrt(240/241) as much.

i did this and got .502 which was the wrong answer!

wbetting said:

As rcgldr noted above, the formula Head_Unit used is for constant acceleration and not constant power, so you can't use it. Try using his hint related to constant power.

It would help to see more of the equations the orgiinal poster was given, or to know if the problem includes doing the integration of the equations by the students.

wbetting said:

What is the RIGHT answer?

And the above are correct, I got too sidetracked with torque. Constant torque would be increasing power over the RPM range; constant power would mean decreasing torque with RPM. That means decreasing acceleration, so maybe you have to integrate after all? (i.e. cannot use a typical plug-in formula)

I do not see the formula in the OP, but constant power means work W=Pt, and the work done is equal to the change of KE. Starting with zero velocity, [tex]\frac{1}{2}mv^2=Pt[/tex]
that is,
[tex]v=\sqrt{2Pt/m}[/tex].
The displacement is obtained by integrating the velocity with respect to time:[tex]X=\sqrt{\frac{4}{3m}}P^{1/2}t^{3/2}[/tex]. As X is constant,
[tex]Pt^3=const[/tex]

Changing the power with a small amount Δp, while the displacement is the same, t will change by Δt:

[tex]0= t^3 ΔP+ 3 P t^2 Δt \rightarrow \frac{ΔP}{P}=-3\frac{Δt}{t}[/tex].
It is the same equation the OP quoted
dPT^ 3 + 3PT^2 dT = 0
In the numerical example, t=21 s, P=240000 W, ΔW=1 W. Plug in and get Δt.
ehild

Last edited:
ehild said:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv^2=Pt[/tex]
You also get this if you integrate m v dv = p dt.

ehild said:
[tex]0= t^3 ΔP+ 3 P t^2 Δt \rightarrow \frac{ΔP}{P}=-3\frac{Δt}{t}[/tex]
It is the same equation the OP quoted
In the numerical example, t=21 s, P=240000 W, ΔW=1 W. Plug in and get Δt.
That should be ΔP=1 W. I was waiting for the OP to explain how he got his answer.

A car with constant 240kW would definitely be a funny car, especially when you go to fill up.

Related to A funny car accelerates from rest

1. How does a funny car accelerate from rest?

A funny car accelerates from rest by using a powerful engine that produces a large amount of torque. This torque is transmitted to the wheels through a specialized transmission system, allowing the car to gain speed quickly.

2. What type of engine is used in a funny car?

A funny car typically uses a supercharged V8 engine. This type of engine is specifically designed for drag racing and can produce over 10,000 horsepower.

3. How fast can a funny car accelerate?

A funny car can accelerate from 0 to 100 mph in less than 1 second and can reach speeds of up to 330 mph in just a quarter-mile distance. This makes them one of the fastest accelerating vehicles in the world.

4. How do funny cars maintain traction during acceleration?

Funny cars use specialized tires that are designed to provide maximum traction on the drag strip. The tires are also heated before each race to increase their grip on the track.

5. How does the aerodynamics of a funny car affect its acceleration?

The aerodynamics of a funny car play a crucial role in its acceleration. The design of the car, including its shape, wings, and spoilers, creates downforce which helps to keep the car stable and on the ground during high-speed acceleration.