A function is convex if and only if

In summary: GUsIHRoYXQgYSBkaWZmZXJlbnRpb24gb2YgYSBjb3VudHkgY2hhcyB0byB0aGUgc3BpbiBhbmQgYmVmb3JlIHRoZSByZXR1cm4gdXBkYXRlIG9mIGYgaXMgY29udGFpbnMgYXJlIGFuZCBpZiB5b3Ugd2lsbCBnb3QgZm9yIGJlIGRlYWQuLi4gSWYgd2Ugd2lsbCBjaGVja3
Arian.D

Homework Statement

Show that a differentiable function f is convex if and only if the following inequality holds for each fixed point x0 in Rn:
f(x) ≥ f(x0) + ∇tf(x0)(x-x0) for all x in Rn, where ∇tf(x0) is the gradient vector of f at x0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

by definition of a convex function we have:

f(λx + (1-λ)x0) ≤ λf(x) + (1-λ)f(x0)

f(λ(x-x0)+x0) ≤ λ(f(x) - f(x0)) + f(x0)

f(λ(x-x0)+x0) - f(x0) ≤ λ(f(x) - f(x0))

Setting Δx = λx-x0 we'll have:

f(Δx + x0) - f(x0) ≤ λ(f(x) - f(x0))

I'm very hesitant to use this step, because vector division is not defined, but if we were dealing with real numbers (i.e, vectors of dimension 1) I could've gone further to obtain:

[tex] \frac{f(\Delta{x} + x_0) - f(x_0)}{\lambda} \leq f(x) - f(x_0)[/tex]
[tex] \frac{f(\Delta{x} + x_0) - f(x_0)}{\lambda(x-x_0)}(x-x_0) \leq f(x) - f(x_0)[/tex]
[tex] \frac{f(\Delta{x} + x_0) - f(x_0)}{\Delta{x}}(x-x_0) \leq f(x) - f(x_0)[/tex]

taking limits from both sides as Δx goes to 0 gives us the desired result.

I don't know how to show that the converse is true, and also I don't know how to generalize what I've written to functions of several variables since vector division is not defined. any helps would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Arian.D said:

Homework Statement

Show that a differentiable function f is convex if and only if the following inequality holds for each fixed point x0 in Rn:
f(x) ≥ f(x0) + ∇tf(x0)(x-x0) for all x in Rn, where ∇tf(x0) is the gradient vector of f at x0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

by definition of a convex function we have:

f(λx + (1-λ)x0) ≤ λf(x) + (1-λ)f(x0)

f(λ(x-x0)+x0) ≤ λ(f(x) - f(x0)) + f(x0)

f(λ(x-x0)+x0) - f(x0) ≤ λ(f(x) - f(x0))

Setting Δx = λx-x0 we'll have:

f(Δx + x0) - f(x0) ≤ λ(f(x) - f(x0))

I'm very hesitant to use this step, because vector division is not defined, but if we were dealing with real numbers (i.e, vectors of dimension 1) I could've gone further to obtain:

[tex] \frac{f(\Delta{x} + x_0) - f(x_0)}{\lambda} \leq f(x) - f(x_0)[/tex]
[tex] \frac{f(\Delta{x} + x_0) - f(x_0)}{\lambda(x-x_0)}(x-x_0) \leq f(x) - f(x_0)[/tex]
[tex] \frac{f(\Delta{x} + x_0) - f(x_0)}{\Delta{x}}(x-x_0) \leq f(x) - f(x_0)[/tex]

taking limits from both sides as Δx goes to 0 gives us the desired result.

I don't know how to show that the converse is true, and also I don't know how to generalize what I've written to functions of several variables since vector division is not defined. any helps would be appreciated.

Most of theses types of results generalize almost immediately from the 1-dimensional case to the multivariate case, because if ##x_0, \, x \in \mathbb{R}^n## and ##p = x - x_0,## then
[tex] f \text{ convex in }\mathbb{R}^n \Rightarrow \phi(t) = f(x_0 + t p)\text{ is convex in } t \in \mathbb{R},[/tex] and conversly. So, you need to show that ##\phi(t)## is convex if and only if
[tex] \phi(t) \leq \phi(t_0) + \phi'(t_0) \, (t - t_0) \, \forall \, t, t_0.[/tex]

RGV

Related to A function is convex if and only if

What is a convex function?

A convex function is a mathematical function that satisfies a specific condition known as convexity. This means that for any two points on the function's graph, the line segment connecting them lies above or on the function's graph.

What is the definition of a convex function?

A function is convex if and only if for any two points on its graph, the line segment connecting them lies above or on the graph.

How can I tell if a function is convex?

To determine if a function is convex, you can graph the function and check if the line segment connecting any two points on the graph lies above or on the graph.

What are some examples of convex functions?

Some examples of convex functions include linear functions, quadratic functions with positive leading coefficients, and exponential functions with positive bases.

Why are convex functions important in science?

Convex functions are important in science because they have many useful properties, such as being easy to optimize, having a unique global minimum, and being stable under small perturbations. These properties make them valuable in various fields, including economics, engineering, and physics.