A few integrals from my homework

In summary: Keep up the good work.So you will have 4 integrals to compute here. Two will require parts, and two will require a u-sub.
wetwilly92

Homework Statement

[tex]\int r^4 ( ln (r) ) dr[/tex]

Homework Equations

Infinity algebra and Calc related formulae..

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure even where to start here.. I'm thinking a u-substitution, letting u = r^3 so that I can deal with the two left over r's, but I don't think that it would be valid algebra.

EDIT: I Think I got this one using integration by parts, but I'd still like to make sure..

---

Homework Statement

[tex]\int 2t dt / (t^2 -6t + 9) [/tex]

Homework Equations

I tried partial fraction decomposition here, but I kept getting nonsensical solutions. How do I set this one up?

---

Homework Statement

[tex]\int x sin^2 (x) [/tex]

Homework Equations

Here I tried integration by parts, with

x(x-2sin(2x)) / 4 - 1/4 [tex] \int x - 2sin 2x dx [/tex] + C which I also cannot integrate.

Thanks for any and all help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
first one integrate by parts

second one partial fraction decomposition works fine as does the substitution
u=t^2-6t+9 or u=t-3
for partial fraction decomposition chose A and B such that
2t=A+B(t-3)

wetwilly92 said:

Homework Statement

[tex]\int r^4 ( ln (r) ) dr[/tex]

Homework Equations

Not sure even where to start here.. I'm thinking a u-substitution, letting u = r^3 so that I can deal with the two left over r's, but I don't think that it would be valid algebra.

EDIT: I Think I got this one using integration by parts, but I'd still like to make sure..

[...]

I would let u = r4 for this problem.

Last edited:
Dembadon said:
I would let u = r4 for this problem.

but don't we have to account for 3 more 'r's if we do this since du = r^3 dr?

Okay, let's see if we can figure out what method to use with each. You are correct, you should use parts for the first integral. For the second integral, partial fractions will not work because the denominator is a square. Did you try a substitution? Perhaps try factoring then substituting.

I don't understand what the problem is with the last one. Your iteration of parts simply yields an elementary integral. Why can't you solve this?

^Partial fraction decomposition works fine, chose A and B such that
2t=A+B(t-3)

wetwilly92 said:
but don't we have to account for 3 more 'r's if we do this since du = r^3 dr?

Don't confuse substitution integration with parts integration. :wink:

When performing integration by parts, you want to choose u, such that u is easy to differentiate, and dv such that dv is easy to integrate. You're not looking to cancel-out any r in this problem.

Dembadon said:
Don't confuse substitution integration with parts integration. :wink:

When performing integration by parts, you want to choose u, such that u is easy to differentiate, and dv such that dv is easy to integrate. You're not looking to cancel-out any r in this problem.

In that case, wouldn't we let u=ln(r), as ln(r) is easy to differentiate but hard to integrate?

I would have u=ln(r), not u=r^4.

wetwilly92 said:

[tex]\int r^4 (\ln (r) ) dr[/tex]

---

[tex]\int 2t dt / (t^2 -6t + 9) [/tex]

I tried partial fraction decomposition here, but I kept getting nonsensical solutions. How do I set this one up?
---

[tex]\int x sin^2 (x) [/tex]

x(x-2sin(2x)) / 4 - 1/4 [tex] \int x - 2sin 2x dx [/tex] + C which I also cannot integrate.

Thanks for any and all help!
For #1: Show your solution & answer so we can check it.

For #2. Yes, you can use partial fractions, but notice that the denominator is a perfect square.

[tex](t^2 -6t + 9)=(x-3)^2[/tex]

Use the substitution u = t-3. It works out very nicely.

For #3: Just finish it.

For #2, add and subtract 6 from the numerator, like so:

[tex]\int \frac{2t-6+6}{t^2-6t+9} dt[/tex]

Then split it into two parts:

[tex]\int \frac{2t-6}{t^2-6t+9} dt + \int \frac{6}{t^2-6t+9} dt[/tex]

Both parts of that integral can be computed easily. I recommend u-substitution for the first one.

Char. Limit said:
In that case, wouldn't we let u=ln(r), as ln(r) is easy to differentiate but hard to integrate?

I would have u=ln(r), not u=r^4.

You're absolutely right.

A good reason why I shouldn't be providing "help" while working! :redface: Sorry, wetwilly.

Related to A few integrals from my homework

1. What are integrals and how are they used in science?

Integrals are mathematical expressions used to calculate the total of a given function over a specific interval. They are used in science to determine quantities such as area, volume, and displacement, and to solve differential equations.

2. What is the process for solving integrals?

The process for solving integrals varies depending on the type of integral. Generally, it involves using various integration rules and techniques, such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions, to manipulate the integral into a form that can be easily solved.

3. What are the main types of integrals?

The two main types of integrals are definite and indefinite integrals. Definite integrals have specific limits and yield a numerical value, while indefinite integrals have no limits and result in a function. Other types include improper integrals, line integrals, and surface integrals.

4. How are integrals related to derivatives?

Integrals and derivatives are inverse operations of each other. While derivatives determine the rate of change of a function, integrals determine the total of that function. In other words, the derivative of an integral is the original function, and the integral of a derivative is the original function plus a constant.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving integrals?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving integrals include forgetting to add the constant of integration, missing negative signs, and incorrectly applying integration rules. It is also important to carefully consider the limits and use the correct notation when evaluating definite integrals.