A few basic questions about quantum information

In summary, the conversation discusses the complexity and abstract nature of qubits and quantum information. The questions cover the maximum number of qubits a photon can carry, the effects of relativistic speed on a qubit, the loss of quantum information in particle mergers, the role of the environment in preserving qubits, and the possibility of quantum fluctuation creating quantum information. It is suggested that learning about the physical aspects of qubits and information may aid in understanding these concepts.
wywong
Could someone provide me with simple answers to the following questions? I have tried to find the answers on the internet but most search results are beyond my comprehension.

1. What is the maximum number of qubits that a photon can carry?

2. If Alice packs a qubit in a photon and sends the photon to Bob who is running away at relativistic speed, is the qubit he retrieves unaffected by his speed?

3. When two particles (say an electron and a positron) merges to form another particle (say photon), it seems that quantum information is lost. Why is that not so?

4. When a quantum state is measured, decoherence occurs and the qubit is lost to the environment. How does the environment keep the qubit? For example, if a measuring apparatus makes N measurements, do the N qubits now reside in the apparatus? Can the qubits lost to the environment be theoretically read from the environment?

5. Some theories suggest that the energy fueling the big bang was provided by quantum fluctuation. Does that mean quantum fluctuation can create quantum information?

Many TIAs.

wywong

Physics news on Phys.org
wywong said:
Could someone provide me with simple answers to the following questions?
It is unlikely that there will be an answer that is simple enough for you that won't also leave something important unsaid.

I have tried to find the answers on the internet but most search results are beyond my comprehension.
There is no royal road to knowledge ... you just have to learn the stuff.

Most of what you are asking concerns the abstract nature of the qubit - but "information" is all in our heads. Start thinking about what form the information takes: what physically happens to Bob when he "receives a qubit" from Alice.

This (PhD Thesis) discussion may help:
http://arxiv.org/pdf/quant-ph/0412063.pdf

Related to A few basic questions about quantum information

1. What is quantum information?

Quantum information is a branch of quantum mechanics that deals with the storage, transmission, and processing of information using quantum systems. It is based on the principles of quantum physics, which allow for the existence of quantum superpositions and entanglement.

2. How is quantum information different from classical information?

Unlike classical information, which is based on classical bits that can only exist in a state of 0 or 1, quantum information is based on quantum bits (qubits) that can exist in a state of 0, 1, or any superposition of the two. This allows for the storage and processing of significantly more information and complex operations.

3. What are some potential applications of quantum information?

Quantum information has many potential applications, including quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum communication. It could also have implications for fields such as chemistry, materials science, and biology.

4. How is quantum information measured?

Quantum information can be measured using various techniques, such as quantum state tomography, quantum process tomography, and quantum entanglement witnesses. The measurement process can be complex due to the delicate nature of quantum systems and the potential for disturbance.

5. What are the challenges in studying quantum information?

Some of the challenges in studying quantum information include maintaining the fragile quantum states, minimizing errors and noise, and developing efficient algorithms and protocols for quantum computing. There are also ethical concerns regarding the potential impact of quantum technologies on privacy and security. Additionally, the field is still relatively new and requires further research and development.