A different loop-de-loop assignment

• Thread starter riddledum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Assignment
In summary, the physics teacher has given the students a new problem to solve involving a loop-de-loop. This time, they are asked to calculate the speed of the ball after it comes out of the loop. The loop has a radius of 0.0675 cm, the ball weighs 0.0282 kg, and the initial speed of the ball is 2.16 m/s. The student has calculated the speed at the top of the loop to be 1.42 m/s, but is unsure how to find the speed at the end of the loop. The end of the loop is at the same height as the point where the velocity of the ball is 2.16 m/s, and the student is questioning if
riddledum
My physics teacher gave us this follow-up to the classic loop-de-loop assignment where you have to calculate the height from where you have to drop a ball in order for it to just make it round the loop. The problem with this assignment is that our teacher refuses to help us, and there are no similar examples in our coursebook.

This time, he asked us to calculate the speed of the ball after it comes out of the loop. Here are some of the data I've collected so far:

The loop has a radius of 0.0675 cm
The ball weighs 0.0282 kg
The speed of the ball is 2.16 m/s when it enters the loop

I've have done some calculations, and got the speed at the top of the loop to 1.42 m/s, which seems plausible, but I have no idea how to get the speed at the end of the loop.

Physics news on Phys.org
What does the "end" of the loop look like? How high is it relative to the point where the speed is 2.16 m/s? Do you see what I am getting at?

kuruman said:
What does the "end" of the loop look like? How high is it relative to the point where the speed is 2.16 m/s? Do you see what I am getting at?

The whole thing looks like this:

[URL]http://pici.se/pictures/mnClqYBkT.jpg[/URL]

The end is at the same height as the point where the velocity of the ball is 2.16 m/s

Last edited by a moderator:
Has the ball lost any mechanical energy when it returns to the same height at which it had a speed of 2.16 m/s?

Related to A different loop-de-loop assignment

1. What is a loop-de-loop assignment?

A loop-de-loop assignment is a type of assignment where a sequence of instructions is repeated multiple times until a certain condition is met. This is commonly used in computer programming and mathematics.

2. How is a loop-de-loop assignment different from a regular assignment?

A loop-de-loop assignment involves repeating a set of instructions, while a regular assignment is typically a one-time task. Additionally, a loop-de-loop assignment often has a specific condition or rule that dictates when the loop will stop.

3. What are some examples of loop-de-loop assignments?

Some examples of loop-de-loop assignments include calculating the factorial of a number, finding the sum of a series of numbers, and searching through a list for a specific item.

4. What are the benefits of using a loop-de-loop assignment?

Using a loop-de-loop assignment can save time and effort, as it allows for the repetition of a set of instructions without having to manually write them out multiple times. It also allows for more efficient and organized code.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using a loop-de-loop assignment?

One common mistake is forgetting to include a condition to break out of the loop, which can result in an infinite loop. It's also important to make sure the loop condition is properly defined and that the loop is not unnecessarily repeated.