A couple Force, work, KE, and spring problems I'm working on.

In summary, the conversation discusses five simple physics problems and requests help in solving them. The problems involve calculating the work done by a force, finding the horizontal acceleration and speed of a block, determining the direction and magnitude of acceleration of a point on a rotating disk, calculating the energy created by converting the mass of a match, finding the distance a spring is compressed given its energy, and determining the final speed of an object falling a certain distance.
raven2783
I'm real rusty on my physics, but here are five simple sample problems we were given, I'd appreciate your help in helping me solve these. Thanks!

Homework Statement

(1) A single horizontal 10.0 N force, F acts on a 2.0 kg block which is initially at rest at x=0 m. In response to the force, the block accelerates in the direction of the force and some time later has traveled 20.0 m. Use this information to answer the following three questions:

a. In moving through the 20.0 m displacement, the force F does an amount of work given by?
b. What was the horizontal acceleration of the block in m/s2?
c. What was the speed (in m/s) of the block when it passes the x=20.0 m mark?

(2) Suppose that a computer hard drive has a disk that rotates at a constant speed of 7200 rpm (revolutions per minute).

a. What is the direction of acceleration of a point 2.0 cm from the axis of this rotating disk?
b. What is the magnitude of the acceleration (in m/s2) of a point 2.0cm from the axis of rotation?

(3) Suppose the mass of a 1.0 g match was converted entirely to energy. How many Joules of energy would this create?

(4) A spring with constant 2.0 N/m stores 16.0 J of energy when it is compressed by what distance?

(5) A block of mass M falls a distance D near the surface of the Earth and reaches a speed V. What is the final speed of an identical block which falls a distance 16D?[/B]

Homework Equations

F=ma
KE=1/2mv²
a=v²/r
W=FD
W=1/2kx²
s=d/t
yf=yi+vit+1/2at²

3. The Attempt at a Solution

1) A single horizontal 10.0 N force, F acts on a 2.0 kg block which is initially at rest at x=0 m. In response to the force, the block accelerates in the direction of the force and some time later has traveled 20.0 m. Use this information to answer the following three questions:

a) In moving through the 20.0 m displacement, the force F does an amount of work given by?

W=FD
200N·M=10N*20m

b) What was the horizontal acceleration of the block in m/s2?

f/m=a
10N/2kg=5m/s²

c) What was the speed (in m/s) of the block when it passes the x=20.0 m mark?

KE=1/2mv² and I need to think about conservation of energy, and I know s=d/t but I need time... t=d/s but I need speed... hrrm.

2) Suppose that a computer hard drive has a disk that rotates at a constant speed of 7200 rpm (revolutions per minute). What is the direction of acceleration of a point 2.0 cm from the axis of this rotating disk?

This must be toward the axis of rotation?

b) What is the magnitude of the acceleration (in m/s2) of a point 2.0cm from the axis of rotation?

a=v²/r
2cm=.02m
2πr?? involved I really don't know how to approach this one.

3. Suppose the mass of a 1.0 g match was converted entirely to energy. How many Joules of energy would this create?

A lot... I know that..

4. A spring with constant 2.0 N/m stores 16.0 J of energy when it is compressed by what distance?

x=f/k

8m=16/2 ...right?

5. A block of mass M falls a distance D near the surface of the Earth and reaches a speed V. What is the final speed of an identical block which falls a distance 16D?

iv+at for the vf of free-falling objects
xi=xf+vit+1/2at² for the position of free-falling objects.

so 16 times the speed would be 16 times the distance.. I think.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
help?

It's been more than a day could anyone help me?

If you posted an individual question and gave an indication of your thought process, rather than an equation plucked out of the air that may or may not be relevant with some numbers stuck in it, you might get a better response.

Related to A couple Force, work, KE, and spring problems I'm working on.

1. What is the relationship between force and work?

The relationship between force and work is that work is equal to the force applied multiplied by the distance over which the force is applied. This is represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated as 1/2 multiplied by the mass of an object multiplied by its velocity squared. This can be represented by the equation KE = 1/2mv^2, where KE is kinetic energy, m is mass, and v is velocity.

3. What is the formula for calculating spring force?

The formula for calculating spring force is F = -kx, where F is the force exerted by the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position.

4. Can you explain the concept of work done by a spring?

Work done by a spring refers to the amount of energy transferred when a spring is compressed or stretched. This can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the spring by the distance over which the force is applied.

5. How are force and acceleration related?

Force and acceleration are directly proportional to each other, according to Newton's Second Law of Motion. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. This relationship can be represented by the equation F = ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.