A couple conceptual Magnetism questions

In summary: So current in the wire is up and force on the wire is to the left.In summary, when a magnet is placed near a wire and a switch is closed, the magnet rotates and exerts a force on the wire segment closest to it. The direction of the current in the wire is counterclockwise and the direction of the net force on the wire is to the left. This is determined using the right hand rule and Fleming's left hand rule for the force on a current in a magnetic field.
DrummingAtom

Homework Statement

A magnet is hung by a string and then placed near a wire as shown. When the switch is closed, the magnet rotates such that the ends of the magnet move as indicated by the arrows. At the instant the switch is closed determine:
a) the direction of the current through the wire segment nearest the magnet.
b) the direction of the net force exerted by the magnet on the wire segment at the instant that the magnet is in the position shown.

Homework Equations

Right hand rule

The Attempt at a Solution

For a) I know that the B field must be pointing in the opposite direction of magnet because the south pole vector points toward the bar magnet for its self. And by the rotation it's being repelled. By pointing my thumb in the direction of current and curling my fingers around the wire so that they end up away from the bar magnet I find that the current must be flowing counterclockwise.

For b) the net force must be in the right direction because the field lines of the south pole, which is closest to the wire, point in the right direction.

Yay or nay? :smile: Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• tut mag #1.JPG
    tut mag #1.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 2,012
Physics news on Phys.org
DrummingAtom said:

Homework Statement

A magnet is hung by a string and then placed near a wire as shown. When the switch is closed, the magnet rotates such that the ends of the magnet move as indicated by the arrows. At the instant the switch is closed determine:
a) the direction of the current through the wire segment nearest the magnet.
b) the direction of the net force exerted by the magnet on the wire segment at the instant that the magnet is in the position shown.

Homework Equations

Right hand rule

The Attempt at a Solution

For a) I know that the B field must be pointing in the opposite direction of magnet because the south pole vector points toward the bar magnet for its self. And by the rotation it's being repelled. By pointing my thumb in the direction of current and curling my fingers around the wire so that they end up away from the bar magnet I find that the current must be flowing counterclockwise.

For b) the net force must be in the right direction because the field lines of the south pole, which is closest to the wire, point in the right direction.

Yay or nay? :smile: Thanks for any help.

Applying Newton's third law, I think the force on the wire should be to the left.

due to magnetic effects, the wire pushes on the magnet, so the magnet pushes on the wire. The magnet is free to move, so it does - and presumably in the direction of the force.
So the magent is being pushed to the right, meaning the wire must be pushed to the left. Of course if the wire is not free to move it won't move to the left, but it will still be pushed that way.

Now part 1: the current should be up, as the field of the magnet goes into a South pole so if I point the fingers of my right hand at the magnet, and have my thumb directe up, then my palm will be pointing left - the direction of the push.

An upward current in the wire would correspond to what you called an anticlockwise current.

Of course I could be wrong

PeterO, I agree with you again. I looked at this and imagined what would happen to the wire... The force is in the opposite direction to the force on the magnet.
I used Fleming's left hand rule for the force on a current in a magnetic field.
With the first finger pointing into the S pole as the field direction and the thumb pointing basically to the left for the force on the wire gives the second finger (current) pointing 'up'.

Related to A couple conceptual Magnetism questions

What is magnetism?

Magnetism is a force that objects with certain characteristics possess. These objects create a magnetic field which can attract or repel other objects with magnetic properties.

What are the two types of magnetism?

The two types of magnetism are permanent magnetism and electromagnetism. Permanent magnetism occurs in materials that have their own magnetic field, such as iron, while electromagnetism is created by passing an electric current through a conductor.

What is the difference between a permanent magnet and an electromagnet?

A permanent magnet always has a magnetic field, while an electromagnet only has a magnetic field when an electric current is flowing through it. Additionally, the strength of an electromagnet can be adjusted by changing the amount of electric current flowing through it, while the strength of a permanent magnet is fixed.

What is the relationship between electricity and magnetism?

Electricity and magnetism are closely related and are part of the same fundamental force called electromagnetism. Moving electric charges, or currents, create magnetic fields, and changing magnetic fields can induce electric currents.

How is magnetism used in everyday life?

Magnetism is used in a variety of ways in everyday life, such as in compasses for navigation, motors and generators for electricity, and MRI machines for medical imaging. It is also used in various technologies, including speakers, hard drives, and credit cards.