A charged rod transfers electrons to a neutral conductor

In summary: On the outer surface, the net charge will be -65 nC - 75 nC = -10 nC. Therefore, the charges along the inner surface and the exterior surface are -65 nC and -10 nC respectively. This distribution follows the two principles of charge distribution in conductors: no net electric field inside and any net charge stored on the outer surface. Remembering the equations for electric field and conventions for electric field lines can help solve these types of problems.
RichardEpic
An initially neutral conductor contains a hollow cavity in which there is a + 65.0 nC point charge. A charged rod transfers - 75.0 nC to the conductor.

Afterwards, what are the charges along the inner surface and the exterior surface?

I understand that the charges from the rod are equally distributing itself across the
volumes, but I don't know how the numbers will play into this...at all. I do know that the
inner wall surface should be negative due to the 65nC point charge, and the outside must
be positive due to the fact that this is a neutral conductor.

ANY formulas dealing with this type of problem would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that the charge distribution throughout a conductor will arrange itself according to two principles:

1. The charges will align such that there is no net electric field inside the conductor.
2. Any net charge will be stored on the outer surface of the conductor in a manner dependent on its geometry.

If you remember your equations for E and your conventions for electric-field lines, you should be able to solve the problem from there.

Last edited:
Ah, I think I'm understanding this now...I do know that the meat a conductor has an E-field of zero (E = 0). So, since the net charge only stays apparent on the exterior surface...would the interior surface charge stay the same? -65nC, in order to block the E-field of the +65nC point Charge?

Also, net charge on the surface should then be +65nC - 75nC = -10nC...correct?

THANK YOU! The world of Conductors has been made clearer to me! Answers were correct. :)

Unless I missed something in the problem, you've got it, and yes, the net charge on that outer surface should be -10C. :)

correct me if i am wrong, since the hollow cavity of the conductor is +65, the wall of the hollow part of the conductor is -65, so it stay neutral and the outer surface of the conductor is also +65

if this is true hen way isn't inner wall of the hollow part -130

Mandaz said:
correct me if i am wrong, since the hollow cavity of the conductor is +65, the wall of the hollow part of the conductor is -65, so it stay neutral and the outer surface of the conductor is also +65

if this is true hen way isn't inner wall of the hollow part -130
Do you realize that this is an old thread?

If a charge of -75 nC is transferred to a neutral object, the object will have a net charge of -75 nC after the transfer .

The electric field within the conducting material itself is zero, thus Gauss's Law tell us that the net charge on the inner surface (the surface of the cavity) must remain at -65 nC, the same as prior to the transfer.

Related to A charged rod transfers electrons to a neutral conductor

1. How does a charged rod transfer electrons to a neutral conductor?

When a charged rod is brought near a neutral conductor, the charged particles in the rod (either positive or negative) will repel the like charges in the conductor. This causes a separation of charges in the conductor, with the side closest to the rod becoming oppositely charged. The electrons in the conductor will then move towards the charged end, creating an overall charge in the conductor.

2. What is meant by a neutral conductor?

A neutral conductor is a material that has an equal number of positive and negative charges, resulting in a net charge of zero. This means that the number of protons (positively charged particles) and electrons (negatively charged particles) in the conductor are equal.

3. What happens when a neutral conductor is touched by a charged rod?

When a neutral conductor is touched by a charged rod, the charges in the rod will transfer to the conductor, causing the conductor to become charged. If the rod is positively charged, it will transfer some of its positive charges to the conductor, making it positively charged as well. The same goes for a negatively charged rod, which will transfer some of its negative charges to the conductor.

4. How do the electrons move in a neutral conductor when it is charged by a rod?

When a neutral conductor is charged by a rod, the electrons in the conductor will move towards the end of the conductor that is closest to the charged rod. This creates an overall charge in the conductor, with the end closest to the rod becoming oppositely charged.

5. Can a neutral conductor become charged without being touched by a charged rod?

Yes, a neutral conductor can become charged without being touched by a charged rod. This can happen through the process of induction, where a charged object is brought near a neutral conductor, causing a separation of charges in the conductor and resulting in a net charge. This can also happen through friction, where two objects are rubbed together, causing a transfer of electrons and resulting in a net charge in one of the objects.