A Brief History of Time -- Recommended?

In summary, I think Stephen Hawking is a genius, and I enjoy watching him.In summary, I think Stephen Hawking is a genius, and I enjoy watching him.
Lucio789
I'm thinking about buying the following books: "the elegant universe", "welcome to the universe" and "a brief history of time". Do you aprove or should I buy some other books, and if so which books?

Science news on Phys.org
Is your goal to actually learn physics or is it for entertainment?

I like" Cosmology: The Science of the Universe" by Edward R. Harrison. A historical approach which is easy to understand.

Lucio789 said:
I'm thinking about buying the following books: "the elegant universe", "welcome to the universe" and "a brief history of time". Do you aprove or should I buy some other books, and if so which books?
Regarding those books, I have only read "A Brief History of Time". Twice. I enjoyed it.

Dale said:
Is your goal to actually learn physics or is it for entertainment?
Both probably

Lucio789 said:
Both probably
Then you may want to drop at least one entertainment book (drop Greene) for a good textbook. Right now your list is slanted towards pure entertainment. Taylor and Wheeler's special relativity book is highly recommended, as is Schutz's general relativity book

Last edited:
If you want just to scratch an itch, then these are ok. I'd also recommend Guth's Inflationary Universe. If you want (and more importantly have the time) to start learning some actual physics, then I think Andrew Liddle's 'Introduction to moddern cosmology' is going to be a good next step, as it's not very demanding.

I didn't care for A Brief History of Time. I ended up buying another book written to explain what Hawking was talking about in his book.

ZapperZ said:

Lucio789 said:
i don't get what that's suppose to help?

It is quite clear to me.

I didn't see how Hawking clarified anything in his book. Very disappointing say compared to the way Philip and Phylis Morrison's "The Ring of Truth" is written.

This well written book discusses how we know, how we go about in search answers . It is an old book (1984) and does touch on some cosmology but well suited for a young budding scientist.

I found Feynman's Cornell lectures both entertaining and informative:

newjerseyrunner said:
I found Feynman's Cornell lectures both entertaining and informative:

Yes, those are very good.

DennisN said:
Regarding those books, I have only read "A Brief History of Time". Twice. I enjoyed it.

I have read it twice, also. The first time in my late 20's, and the second in my late 40's.

The first time, it was almost more than I could absorb, as I got to the last 1/4 of the short book. A lifetime later, after many magazine, documentary, and Science-Fiction shows under my belt, it made sense.

As a layman, I can not assess if it should be listed as educational, or entertainment reading. It certainly is NOT a technical manual or textbook, in any strict sense of the meanings, but I can tell you that it helped me get over the conceptual hurdles of how black holes work.

For me, it was both entertaining, and educational, and laid the groundwork that has allowed me to keep up (or at least quietly follow along) with topics that my formal education never even broached.

Since then, I have come to enjoy spotting Stephen Hawking, in celebrity situations, such as an episode of Star Trek TNG. To me it is amazing the brain that resides in that head.

Likes russ_watters

Related to A Brief History of Time -- Recommended?

1. What is "A Brief History of Time" about?

"A Brief History of Time" is a book written by renowned physicist Stephen Hawking. It explores the origins and evolution of the universe, as well as concepts such as space, time, and the nature of reality.

2. Is "A Brief History of Time" suitable for non-scientists?

While the book does cover complex scientific theories, Hawking presents them in a way that is accessible to readers without a background in physics. He uses analogies and everyday examples to help explain these concepts in a more understandable way.

3. How accurate is "A Brief History of Time"?

Hawking's book is based on scientific theories and research, and he presents them accurately. However, as with any scientific theory, there is always room for further exploration and understanding.

4. Can "A Brief History of Time" be understood by someone without a strong background in physics?

While some of the concepts may be challenging for readers without a background in physics, Hawking does his best to make the information accessible to all readers. It may require some extra effort and time to fully understand, but it is possible for non-scientists to grasp the main ideas presented in the book.

5. How long is "A Brief History of Time"?

The book has a total of 212 pages, including the introduction and epilogue. However, the length of time it takes to read and understand the book may vary depending on the reader's familiarity with the subject matter.