A book on highschool-level probability and statistics

In summary, the conversation is about finding a fantastic book on probability and statistics for a high school student. The book should cover both basic and intermediate topics, including frequency distributions and other basic concepts. It should also require only elementary algebra knowledge and start with the basics before moving on to advanced topics. The conversation also mentions that the student should not have a strong understanding of summations and that calculus may be necessary for some chapters in the recommended book. However, it is suggested that the student focus on their high school algebra and calculus courses before diving into more advanced statistical texts.
Ankel
What is a fantastic book on probability&statistics that covers all the probability&statistics a student in high school ever need? It should cover the basics, and also the intermediate topics. Specifically, it must cover frequency distributions and whatnot.

Please lend me your suggestions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can the prerequisite knowledge include calculus or not?

No. Like I said, I am just a high school student. It should require a knowledge of only some elementary algebra and other things that a high school student is expected to know. Also, I must add that the book must start out with the basics and later proceed onto the advanced topics. By the basics, I am talking about median/median/mode, cumulative frequency distributions, standard deviations, empirical probability formula, and other basic stuff like:

P(E) = number of favorable outcomes/number of possible outcomes

Ankel said:
No. Like I said, I am just a high school student. It should require a knowledge of only some elementary algebra and other things that a high school student is expected to know. Also, I must add that the book must start out with the basics and later proceed onto the advanced topics. By the basics, I am talking about median/median/mode, cumulative frequency distributions, standard deviations, empirical probability formula, and other basic stuff like:

P(E) = number of favorable outcomes/number of possible outcomes

Do you understand summations?

Somewhat, only in a very elementary manner.

Ankel said:
Somewhat, only in a very elementary manner.

I wouldn't recommend looking at statistical books at this point in time for you. I would focus more on your high school algebra/calculus courses.

The most elementary book I know of personally is: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0393970833/?tag=pfamazon01-20
You aren't going to make it through much of that book without a good handle on summations. Calculus is also suggested for some of the chapters.

There may not be any (decent) texts at your level.

Related to A book on highschool-level probability and statistics

1. What is the purpose of a book on highschool-level probability and statistics?

A book on highschool-level probability and statistics aims to introduce students to the fundamental concepts and principles of these two subjects. It provides a solid foundation for understanding more advanced topics in statistics and prepares students for real-world applications of probability and statistics.

2. Is this book suitable for students with no prior knowledge of probability and statistics?

Yes, this book is designed for students who have little to no prior knowledge of probability and statistics. It starts with the basics and gradually builds upon them, making it accessible for students at the high school level.

3. What topics are covered in this book?

This book covers a wide range of topics including descriptive statistics, probability rules, random variables, sampling distributions, hypothesis testing, and correlation and regression analysis. It also includes various real-world examples and exercises to reinforce understanding.

4. How can this book help students in their future studies or careers?

Understanding probability and statistics is essential for many fields such as economics, psychology, and biology. This book equips students with the necessary skills and knowledge to analyze data, make informed decisions, and solve real-world problems, which can be applied in their future studies or careers.

5. Are there any additional resources available with this book?

Yes, this book may come with additional resources such as online exercises, practice tests, and answer keys. Some versions may also include interactive simulations and visual aids to help students better understand the concepts. Make sure to check with the publisher or author for available resources.