A book about dark matter and energy

In summary, the conversation is about a person's interest in learning more about dark matter and energy and their request for book recommendations on the topic. Some suggested books include "The Dark Matter Problem: A Historical Perspective" by Robert H. Sanders, "Dark Side of the Universe" and "The Four Percent Universe" by Panek.
rammer
Hello, since I am very interested in universe, I would like to know something more about dark matter and energy. There are too few information on Wikipedia for instance.

Could you recommend me any great book which can bring me some light about this stuff? I am 1st year engineering student (for appropriate level of literature). E-book doesn't matter to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
rammer said:
Hello, since I am very interested in universe, I would like to know something more about dark matter and energy. There are too few information on Wikipedia for instance.

Could you recommend me any great book which can bring me some light about this stuff? I am 1st year engineering student (for appropriate level of literature). E-book doesn't matter to me.

For a book about dark matter (not dark energy), I recommend the book

"The Dark Matter Problem: A Historical Perspective" by Robert H. Sanders.

'The Four Percent Universe' by Panek is also a good read.

big thanks to all of you

Related to A book about dark matter and energy

1. What is dark matter and energy?

Dark matter and energy are terms used in cosmology to describe the invisible substances that make up a large portion of the universe. Dark matter is a theoretical form of matter that does not emit or absorb light, and dark energy is a hypothetical form of energy that is thought to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe.

2. How is dark matter and energy different from regular matter and energy?

Regular matter and energy, also known as baryonic matter, make up the visible universe and can be detected through their interactions with light and other forms of electromagnetic radiation. Dark matter and energy, on the other hand, do not interact with light and can only be detected through their gravitational effects on visible matter.

3. What is the current understanding of dark matter and energy?

Dark matter and energy are still poorly understood and remain a subject of ongoing research in astrophysics and particle physics. While there is strong evidence for their existence, their exact nature and properties are still unknown. Scientists are continuously studying and developing theories to better understand these mysterious substances.

4. How does dark matter and energy affect the universe?

Dark matter and energy play a crucial role in the structure and evolution of the universe. It is estimated that dark matter makes up around 27% of the universe, while dark energy makes up around 68%. These substances are thought to be the driving force behind the expansion of the universe and the formation of large-scale structures such as galaxies and galaxy clusters.

5. Are there any practical applications of studying dark matter and energy?

While dark matter and energy may seem abstract and mysterious, understanding them is essential for our understanding of the universe and its evolution. Additionally, the study of dark matter and energy may have practical applications in areas such as technology and energy production. For example, some scientists are researching ways to harness dark matter and energy for potential future energy sources.