A 3.0 g coin moving to the right at 26.0 cm/s makes an elastic head-on colli

• Thread starter lettertwelve
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elastic
In summary, a 3.0 g coin moving at 26.0 cm/s makes an elastic collision with a 12.0 g coin at rest, resulting in the 3.0 g coin moving at 12.5 cm/s in the opposite direction. The final velocity of the 12.0 g coin is 9.6 cm/s to the right. To find the amount of kinetic energy transferred to the 12.0 g coin, use the equation KE = 0.5mv^2, where m is the mass in kg and v is the velocity in m/s. Converting 9.6 cm/s to m/s, we get 0.096 m/s. Therefore, the kinetic energy
lettertwelve

Homework Statement

A 3.0 g coin moving to the right at 26.0 cm/s makes an elastic head-on collision with a 12.0 g coin that is initially at rest. After the collision, the 3.0 g coin moves to the left at 12.5 cm/s.
(a) Find the final velocity of the other coin.
_____cm/s to the right
(b) Find the amount of kinetic energy transferred to the 12.0 g coin.
_____Joules

Homework Equations

for part a, i know you have to do conversions to get to M and Kg.
for part b, .5mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

i know that KE of the 2nd coin = (m of second coin)(.5)(Velocity of second coin ^2)

but I'm STUCK on part A!

Physics news on Phys.org
Use conservation of momentum:

p(initial)=p(final)

p=m*v

i found part A, and it's 9.6cm to the right.
but now i am stuck on part B.
no matter what i do, it's not working!

...i tried this:
KE of second coin=(Mass of second coin).5(Velocity of 2nd coin^2)
so it'd look like:
(.12)(.5)(9.6^2)
BUT since it's 9.6 CM/s, to convert it to m/s it would be .096
(.12)(.5)(.096^2)
which is: .00055296

why is it wrong!?

Last edited:
What's the answer given in the book? Btw, 12.0 g is 0.012 kg.

I'll unmark this as solved since you still seem to be asking questions on it.

ok i think this is how u do it
first u need to find kinetic energy before contact and find the kinetic energy of the coin A
and u subtract the original kinetic to the kinetic of coin A u will get the kinetic of coin B
(assumed that the moving coin is A and the resting coin is B)

Related to A 3.0 g coin moving to the right at 26.0 cm/s makes an elastic head-on colli

1. What is an elastic head-on collision?

An elastic head-on collision is a type of collision where two objects collide directly with each other and bounce off without any loss of kinetic energy. This means that the total kinetic energy before and after the collision remains the same.

2. How is the kinetic energy of a 3.0 g coin moving to the right at 26.0 cm/s calculated?

The kinetic energy of an object is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity. Plugging in the values for the coin, we get KE = 1/2 * 3.0 g * (26.0 cm/s)^2 = 101.4 ergs.

3. What factors affect the outcome of an elastic head-on collision?

The outcome of an elastic head-on collision is affected by the masses and velocities of the objects involved, as well as the angle and point of impact of the collision. The elasticity and surface properties of the objects can also play a role in the outcome.

4. How does an elastic head-on collision differ from an inelastic head-on collision?

In an inelastic head-on collision, the two objects stick together after colliding and some of the kinetic energy is lost due to deformation or conversion into other forms of energy. This results in a decrease in the total kinetic energy after the collision, unlike in an elastic collision where the kinetic energy remains the same.

5. Can an elastic head-on collision occur in real life?

Yes, elastic head-on collisions can occur in real life. Examples of elastic collisions include billiard balls colliding on a pool table, bouncing basketballs, and collisions between molecules in gases. However, in real life, no collision is completely elastic as some energy is always lost due to factors such as friction and heat.