A 165N sled is pulled a distance of 205m. What angle?

• Thread starter jmm5180
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle
In summary, the problem involves a 165N sled being pulled a distance of 205m, requiring 5200J of work to overcome friction. The coefficient of friction is 0.25 and the task is done by pulling a rope at an angle that needs to be determined. The attempt at a solution involves using the equations W= Fdcos@ and F= ma, along with a free body diagram. However, there are multiple unknowns and it is unclear how the given values of 5200J, 205m, and 0.25 are relevant to the solution.
jmm5180

Homework Statement

A 165N sled is pulled a distance of 205m. The task requires 5200J of work to overcome friction and is done by pulling a rope at what angle? Coefficient of friction is 0.25.

Homework Equations

W= Fdcos@ (@ for theta)
F= ma

The Attempt at a Solution

My free body diagram had Force applied in the y direction (Fay) and normal force along the positive y-axis and weight on the negative y axis. Force applied in the x direcrion (Fax) is on the positive x-axis and the force of friction is on the negative y axis.

I tried to solve for a variety of variables, but i can't get the right combination so two unknowns aren't in the same equation. I believe I need to find the force applied before I can get theta.

I solved that Ff = Facos@ (Force applied in the x direction)

For the y direction:
Fasin@ = -N + W
I solved for Fa then..
Fa= (-N+W)/sin@

I plugged that back into Ff= Facos@
Ff= cos@* (-N+W)/sin@

However, normal force is another unknown. I'm not sure where else to go from here.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
jmm5180 said:
force of friction is on the negative y axis.
I think you meant "force of friction is on the negative x axis", true?Where does the 5200 J and 205 meter distance and 0.25 coeff. of friction come into play . . . or not?

Related to A 165N sled is pulled a distance of 205m. What angle?

1. What is the magnitude of the force applied to the sled?

The magnitude of the force applied to the sled would be 165N.

2. What is the displacement of the sled in the horizontal direction?

The displacement of the sled in the horizontal direction would be 205m.

3. What is the angle between the direction of the force and the displacement?

The angle between the direction of the force and the displacement would depend on the orientation of the sled and the direction in which it is being pulled. Without additional information, it is impossible to determine the angle.

4. How do you calculate the work done on the sled?

The work done on the sled can be calculated using the formula W = Fd cos θ, where W is work, F is the magnitude of the force, d is the displacement, and θ is the angle between the force and displacement.

5. What factors can affect the angle between the force and displacement?

The angle between the force and displacement can be affected by the orientation and direction of the sled, as well as any external forces acting on the sled. It can also be affected by the surface on which the sled is being pulled, such as friction or slope.