A 13.2Billion year old star just 186 Lyrs from earth

In summary, a 13.2 billion year old star, HD 140283, was recently discovered to be just 186 light years away from Earth. This is surprising because it is not a population III star, which are expected to have shorter lifespans. The age of a star does not necessarily correspond with its redshift, as demonstrated by the fact that some of the oldest stars in the universe are relatively close to us. This particular star, a population II star, could have been ejected from a nearby low metallicity dwarf galaxy due to its high velocity. This discovery raises the question of whether older stars have a greater chance of developing intelligent life.
Tanelorn
A 13.2Billion year old star just 186 Lyrs from earth

I thought that these really old stars would have only been observed at super high red shifts because of a shorter life but apparently not.

http://www.salon.com/2013/01/12/astronomers_may_have_found_the_oldest_star_in_the_universe/

After thought: Would older stars have a greater chance of developing intelligent life?

Space news on Phys.org
Tanelorn said:
I thought that these really old stars would have only been observed at super high red shifts because of a shorter life but apparently not.
The article mentions explicitly that this is not a population III star, due to the measured abundance of metals.

Population III stars are expected to be very short lived, so its not big surprise we haven't seen any. The age of a star has little to do with redshift. Stars at high redshift are limited in age to that of the universe at that age, so a star with a redshift of 2 could not be more than about 3 billion years of age given the universe itself was only about 3.3 billion years old when those photons left that star. Hence, it is unsurprising some of the oldest stars in the universe are relatively nearby. A low mass star like a red dwarf is capable of 'living' much longer than the age of the universe. A star like the sun has a main sequence life expectancy of around 9 billion years.

Just to clarify, I did not know the definitions of the various star population classes. My recollection was that the first stars were very short lived hence my surprise to find that one as old as this still existed in our own back yard. I think this article says that this old star HD 140283, is a population II star.

Given its relatively high velocity, HD 140283 could be a star ejected by a nearby low metallicity dwarf galaxy.

Related to A 13.2Billion year old star just 186 Lyrs from earth

1. What is the significance of a 13.2 billion year old star just 186 light years from Earth?

This star is significant because it is one of the oldest stars we have discovered that is relatively close to our own planet. Its age allows us to study the early stages of the universe and gain a better understanding of its formation.

2. How do scientists determine the age of a star?

Scientists use a variety of methods to determine the age of a star, including its size, composition, and location in the galaxy. In the case of this 13.2 billion year old star, its age was estimated by studying its composition and distance from Earth.

3. What can we learn from studying a star that is 13.2 billion years old?

Studying a star of this age can provide valuable insights into the early stages of the universe and how it has evolved over time. It can also help us understand the processes of star formation and the characteristics of ancient galaxies.

4. Is it possible to visit this 13.2 billion year old star?

No, it is currently not possible for humans to travel to this star as it is 186 light years away. Even if we were able to travel at the speed of light, it would take us 186 years to reach it.

5. How does the distance of 186 light years affect our ability to study this star?

The distance of 186 light years does not significantly hinder our ability to study this star. With advanced telescopes and technology, we are able to gather valuable information about distant stars and galaxies. However, it does limit our ability to physically observe and study the star up close.