-7.3.89 Integral with trig subst

In summary: Simplify and integrate to get $\dfrac{{{{sin}}^7 x\ }}{7}-\dfrac{{{{sin}}^9 x\ }}{9}+C$. In summary, the integral can be evaluated by substituting $x=4\sec\theta$ and $dx=4\tan \theta\sec \theta$, simplifying and then integrating to get $\dfrac{{{{sin}}^7 x\ }}{7}-\dfrac{{{{sin}}^9 x\ }}{9}+C$.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\begin{array}{lll}
I&=\displaystyle\int{\frac{dx}{x^2\sqrt{x^2-16}}}
\quad x=4\sec\theta
\quad dx=4\tan \theta\sec \theta
\end{array}$

just seeing if I started with the right x and dx or is there better

Mahalo

Physics news on Phys.org
Details! \(\displaystyle dx = 4 ~ tan( \theta ) ~ sec( \theta ) ~ d \theta \).

Otherwise, good.

-Dan

That substitution would be fine, but I would probably lean more towards a hyperbolic substitution (just personal preference).

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} x = 4\cosh{ \left( t \right) } \implies \mathrm{d}x = 4\sinh{\left( t \right) } \,\mathrm{d}t \end{align*}$

so finally maybe...

Evaluate the Integral $I=\int{\dfrac{dx}{x^2\sqrt{x^2-16}}}
\quad x=4\sec\theta
\quad dx=4\tan \theta\sec \theta$
thus $\sec^{-1} \dfrac{x}{4} \sin\theta =\dfrac{\sqrt{x^2-16}}{x}$
Substitute
$\begin{array}{lll}
&=\int{\dfrac{4{{tan} \theta {\sec \theta }}}
{16{{\sec}^2 \theta \cdot 4{{tan} \theta }}}}\\
&=\dfrac{1}{16}\int\cos\theta \, d\theta
=\dfrac{\sin \theta}{16}\\
&=\dfrac{\dfrac{\sqrt{x^2-16}}{x}}{16}\\
&=\dfrac{\sqrt{x^2-16}}{16x}\\
&=\int\sin^6 x(1-\sin^2 x) \, dx\\
&=\cos(x) dx \\
&u=\sin{x}\ du=\cos x \, dx\\
&=\int{(u^6-u^8)\ du}\implies \dfrac{u^7}{7}-\dfrac{u^9}{9}+C\\
&=\dfrac{{{{sin}}^7 x\ }}{7}-\dfrac{{{{sin}}^9 x\ }}{9}+C
\end{array}$

so finally maybe...

Evaluate the Integral $I=\int{\dfrac{dx}{x^2\sqrt{x^2-16}}}
\quad x=4\sec\theta
\quad dx=4\tan \theta\sec \theta$
thus $\sec^{-1} \dfrac{x}{4} \sin\theta =\dfrac{\sqrt{x^2-16}}{x}$
Substitute
$\displaystyle\int{\dfrac{4{{tan} \theta {\sec \theta }}}
{16{{\sec}^2 \theta \cdot 4{{tan} \theta }}}}d\theta$

Last edited:

Related to -7.3.89 Integral with trig subst

1. What is an integral with trigonometric substitution?

An integral with trigonometric substitution is a method used to evaluate integrals that involve trigonometric functions. It involves substituting a trigonometric function for a variable in the integral, which allows for easier integration.

2. When should I use trigonometric substitution for an integral?

Trigonometric substitution is typically used when the integral contains a radical expression or a quadratic expression that cannot be easily integrated by other methods.

3. How do I perform trigonometric substitution for an integral?

To perform trigonometric substitution, you must first identify which trigonometric function to substitute in for the variable in the integral. This is usually determined by the form of the integral. Then, you can use trigonometric identities to rewrite the integral in terms of the substituted function and its derivative. Finally, you can integrate the new expression and substitute back in for the original variable.

4. Are there any specific trigonometric identities I should know for this method?

Yes, there are several key trigonometric identities that are commonly used in trigonometric substitution, such as the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, and half angle identities. It is important to be familiar with these identities in order to successfully perform trigonometric substitution.

5. Can I use trigonometric substitution for any type of integral?

No, trigonometric substitution is not always applicable for every type of integral. It is most useful for integrals involving trigonometric functions, radical expressions, and quadratic expressions. In some cases, other integration techniques such as u-substitution or integration by parts may be more appropriate.