6) How does computer software plot magnetic field lines?

In summary, the software plots magnetic field lines by finding the points of intersection between the field lines and the surface of the object. It can be difficult to get a true representation of the flux density with this method, as the field lines may join up with the opposite conventional pole.
quantum123
How does computer software plot magnetic field lines where the density of lines represent flux density? How does the software know which points to start plotting from in order to come out with a true representation?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've seen one example in which you would have to click on a point and the software would plot the line that goes through that point. Of course, in that case the density of lines may or may not represent the flux density, depending on where you click.

Off the top of my head, I suppose you could start at the point of largest magnetic field (call the value B) and plot the field line going through there. Then move some reasonable distance R to one side (perpendicular to the magnetic field vector); call the magnetic field value there B' and plot another field line going through that point. Then move over again by the distance R'= RB/B' and plot another line, etc. until you reach the edge of the graph or something.

If you don't wind up getting a good answer here, you might have better luck asking on a computer programming Q&A site (such as stackoverflow.com).

Likes matt rene
well the best way I could think of doing it is this: Do you remember during your studies (if you've got this far) when you came across a bar magnet that looked like a tear drop? and you'd have noticed that the smaller the area the higher the density of magnetic field points intersecting the surface. (lets for now keep it 2d). Then you could plot the magnetic field lines with the differential of the curvature of the object. That being the quicker the curve fell or the larger the value of the differential, then the more lines you will plot. Say if you plotted 1 line for every degree of curvature, you should in theory plot the magnetic field lines. The only issue with this is, obviously magnetic field lines curve to join up with the opposite conventional pole. So you'd have to write the code so that the corresponding angle from the other pole joined up with the original. And to my knowledge that should work for most circumstances, although it sounds in my head like that would really work for a conventional rectangular bar magnet. :S.

Thank you.
I have recently downloaded this software for drawing magnetic field lines. It is very good! Go try it.
http://www.vizimag.com/
Upon successfully using the software to draw the field lines that I wanted( very fast performance) on the PC, this question of how the software works is really haunting me.

the information above was useful, i need a software that will plot me the magnetic field, the link above is not working, if anyone have the setup please give me the link

Related to 6) How does computer software plot magnetic field lines?

1) What is the purpose of plotting magnetic field lines using computer software?

The purpose of plotting magnetic field lines using computer software is to better visualize and understand the behavior of magnetic fields in a given space. This can help scientists make predictions and analyze data related to magnetic fields.

2) What factors influence the shape and direction of magnetic field lines?

The shape and direction of magnetic field lines are influenced by the strength and orientation of the magnetic source, as well as the presence of any other nearby magnetic fields or conductive materials.

3) How accurate are the magnetic field line plots generated by computer software?

The accuracy of magnetic field line plots generated by computer software depends on the quality of the data and algorithms used. With precise data and advanced algorithms, the plots can be very accurate. However, there may be some discrepancies due to simplifications or assumptions made in the software.

4) Can computer software plot magnetic field lines for complex or three-dimensional systems?

Yes, computer software can be programmed to plot magnetic field lines for complex or three-dimensional systems. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the behavior of magnetic fields in real-life scenarios.

5) How can magnetic field line plots be used in practical applications?

Magnetic field line plots generated by computer software can be used in various practical applications, such as designing and optimizing magnets for electronic devices, studying the effects of magnetic fields on living organisms, and predicting the behavior of charged particles in magnetic fields.