4 resistors in series and parallel

In summary: I can sleep well :DIn summary, the problem involves finding the Equivalent Resistance of 4 resistors with equal values when connected in series and parallel. While the series calculation is straightforward, the parallel calculation is incorrect and should be \frac{1}{R}=\frac{1}{R_1}+\frac{1}{R_2}+\frac{1}{R_3}+\frac{1}{R_4}, resulting in a value of 10Ω, not 16000Ω as stated in the conversation.
abruski

Homework Statement

I have 4 resistors R1=R2=R3=R4=40[tex]\Omega[/tex]

I need to find the Equivalent Resistance when they are connected in series and when they are connected in parallel.

The problem is my answer for the parallel differs from the answer given in the book.

Homework Equations

Series: R=R1+R2+R3+R4
Parallel: R=[tex]\frac{R_{1}*R_{2}*R_{3}*R_{4}}{R_{1}+R_{2}+R_{3}+R_{4}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The first is easy: 4*40=160

Parallel: R=[tex]\frac{40^{4}}{40*4}[/tex]=16000[tex]\Omega[/tex]

in the book the answer is: 10[tex]\Omega[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
You're almost there, however the second equation is wrong I'm afraid, get that checked up on (the parallel one)

abruski said:
Series: R=R1+R2+R3+R4
OK.
Parallel: R=[tex]\frac{R_{1}*R_{2}*R_{3}*R_{4}}{R_{1}+R_{2}+R_{3}+R_{4}}[/tex]
:bugeye: Where did you get this equation? (Look up resistors in parallel.)

The parallel resistor formula I took from the same lesson of the same book. Very weird. Anyway, thanks guys :)

I take it the formula from that lesson only had two parallel resistors? In that case [tex]\frac{1}{R}=\frac{1}{R_1}+\frac{1}{R_2} \Rightarrow R=\frac{R_1R_2}{R_1+R_2}[/tex]. Now add a third resistor to the first equation and see that the generalization you made is not correct.

I saw the wrongness of my ways now. Thank you

Related to 4 resistors in series and parallel

1. What is the difference between resistors in series and parallel?

In a series circuit, resistors are connected in a single path where the current flows through each resistor in succession. In a parallel circuit, resistors are connected in multiple paths where the current is divided among the resistors.

2. How do I calculate the total resistance of resistors in series?

To calculate the total resistance in a series circuit, simply add the individual resistances together. This is because the current has to flow through each resistor, creating a cumulative effect.

3. How do I calculate the total resistance of resistors in parallel?

To calculate the total resistance in a parallel circuit, use the formula: 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... + 1/Rn. This formula takes into account the fact that the current is divided among the resistors.

4. What happens to the total resistance when resistors are added in series or parallel?

When resistors are added in series, the total resistance increases. When resistors are added in parallel, the total resistance decreases. This is because in series, the current has to flow through each resistor, while in parallel, the current is divided among the resistors.

5. How can I use resistors in series and parallel to create different levels of resistance?

By combining different resistors in series and parallel, you can create custom levels of resistance to meet your circuit's needs. For example, if you need a higher resistance, you can add resistors in series. If you need a lower resistance, you can add resistors in parallel.