4-point correlation in phi 4 to first order

In summary, the conversation discusses the substitution of variables in a first-order lambda integral for 2-2 scattering. The substitution is y_i = x_i - x, and after integrating over the y_i variables, the resulting expression matches the next line in Maggiore's text. The question arises about what happens to the measure -d^4x when making this substitution, but it is clarified that the x variable is not held fixed and the Hessian must be calculated using all 5 variables.
jfy4
Hi,

Look at
[tex]
\begin{align}
& \int d^4 x d^4 x_1 d^4 x_2 d^4 x_3 d^4 x_4 \exp [i(p_1 x_1 + p_2 x_2 -k_1 x_3 -k_2 x_4)] \\
& \times (-i\lambda)D(x_1-x)D(x_2-x)D(x_3-x)D(x_4-x)
\end{align}
[/tex]
for first order in lambda for 2-2 scattering. In Maggiore I am told to substitute [itex]y_i=x_i-x[/itex] as a variable substitution and then carry out the [itex]y_i[/itex] integrals. Fair enough, but what about the measures? [itex]y_i=x_i -x \rightarrow dy_i = dx_i -dx [/itex]. Surely [itex]x[/itex] isn't a constant, since the coupling point could be anywhere, then I should have a whole separate integral with [itex]-d^4 x[/itex], right? If I make the substitution while ignoring the measure for emphesis I get
[tex]
\begin{align}
& \int d^4 x d^4 x_1 d^4 x_2 d^4 x_3 d^4 x_4 \exp [i(p_1 (y_1+x) + p_2 (y_2+x) -k_1 (y_3+x) -k_2 (y_4+x))] \\
& \times (-i\lambda)D(y_1)D(y_2)D(y_3)D(y_4)
\end{align}
[/tex]
now if I directly make the substitution [itex]d^4 x_i \rightarrow d^4 y_i [/itex] and integrate over [itex]y_i[/itex] I get
[tex]
(-i\lambda) D(p_1)D(p_2)D(p_3)D(p_4) \int d^4 x \exp[i(p_1 + p_2 - k_1 -k_2)x]
[/tex]
which is precisely the next line of Maggiore, except I cheated, didn't I...? (Here [itex]D(p_i)[/itex] are the momentum space representation of the Feynman propagator.) What happened to my [itex]-d^4 x[/itex] when I make the variable substitution above? A point in the right direction would be lovely, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have not cheated. Why do you come to this idea? You first integrate over the [itex]x_j[/itex] with [itex]j \in \{1,2,3,4\}[/itex] at fixed [itex]x[/itex]. Then indeed [itex]\mathrm{d}^4 x_j=\mathrm{d}^4 y_j[/itex]. After that the [itex]x[/itex] integral gives you the energy-momentum conserving Dirac [itex]\delta[/itex], i.e., [itex](2 \pi)^4 \delta^{(4)}(p_1+p_2-k_1-k_2)[/itex] as it should be. In this way you can derive the Feynman-diagram rules, which are directly in four-momentum space and much more convenient than always doing these Fourier integrals.:smile:

Thanks, I guess then my question is why is it okay for us to hold [itex]x[/itex] in [itex]y_i = x_i +x[/itex] fixed?

Hi,

You do not hold x fixed, it is just a change of variables, if you calculate explicitly the Hessian you will see.

Actually you must do this using the 5 variables, x, y1, y2, y3 and y4.

Related to 4-point correlation in phi 4 to first order

What is 4-point correlation in phi 4 to first order?

4-point correlation in phi 4 to first order refers to a calculation in quantum field theory that involves correlating the values of four fields at different points in spacetime. In the phi 4 theory, this calculation is done to first order, meaning it only takes into account the first order interactions between the fields.

Why is 4-point correlation in phi 4 to first order important?

4-point correlation in phi 4 to first order is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of quantum fields and their interactions. This calculation is used in various areas of physics, such as particle physics and condensed matter physics, to make predictions about the behavior of systems at the quantum level.

How is 4-point correlation in phi 4 to first order calculated?

4-point correlation in phi 4 to first order is calculated using perturbation theory, which involves expanding the fields and their interactions in a series and then making approximations to simplify the calculations. The resulting equations can then be solved to obtain the 4-point correlation function.

What are the applications of 4-point correlation in phi 4 to first order?

4-point correlation in phi 4 to first order has many applications, including predicting the behavior of subatomic particles and understanding the properties of materials at the quantum level. It is also used in the study of quantum field theory and the development of new theoretical models.

What are the limitations of 4-point correlation in phi 4 to first order?

While 4-point correlation in phi 4 to first order is a useful tool in understanding quantum systems, it has its limitations. This calculation only takes into account the first order interactions between fields, neglecting higher order interactions that may also play a significant role in the behavior of the system. Additionally, it may not accurately describe systems with strong interactions or in extreme conditions, such as high energies or temperatures.