4-force, 4-momentum, energy and mass relations.

In summary: This shows that the force and acceleration are not always parallel in special relativity. In summary, the concept of force and acceleration in special relativity differs from Newtonian mechanics, as seen in the 4-force and 3-force equations derived from the proper-time variation of 4-momentum and the force laws.
heitor
This is an exercise of Special Relativity the professor asked last week.
Sorry for the long post, I hope you don't get bored reading it, also, this is my first post here :shy:

Homework Statement

Defining the 4-force that acts on a particle as the proper-time variation of the 4-momentum [itex]F^\mu := \frac{d P^\mu}{d \tau}[/itex].
  1. Justify Einsteins relation between mass and energy: [itex] E = mc^2 [/itex]
  2. Show, using the [itex]\eta _{\mu\nu}P^\mu P^\nu [/itex], that [itex] E^2 = (mc^2)^2 + (\vec{p}^2c^2) [/itex], where [itex] \vec{p} [/itex] is the 3-momentum.
  3. Show that in SR the 3-force and 3-acceleration is not always parallel to each other.

Homework Equations

I'm using the convention: [itex] x^0 = ct [/itex] and [itex] (- + + +) [/itex] for the metric tensor.

4-velocity: [itex] u^\mu = \gamma_{(v)} (c, \vec{v}) [/itex], with [itex] \vec{v} [/itex] the 3-velocity in lab frame.

And some results I got, they are somewhere in Wikipedia and some books also.

gamma: [tex] \frac{d}{d \tau} = \frac{d t}{d \tau} \frac{d}{d t} = \gamma_{(v)} \frac{d}{d t} [/tex]

I'll omit [itex](v)[/itex] in gamma for brevity.

derivative of gamma: [tex] \dot{\gamma} = \frac{d \gamma}{dt} = \gamma ^3 \frac{\vec{v} \cdot \vec{a}}{c^2} [/tex]

acceleration: [tex] a^\mu = \left ( \gamma ^4 \frac{\vec{v} \cdot \vec{a}}{c}, \gamma^4 \vec{a}_\parallel + \gamma ^2 \vec{a}_\perp \right ) [/tex]
where [itex]\vec{a}_\parallel = (\vec{a} \cdot \vec{v}) \vec{v}/v^2[/itex] is the parallel component of the 3-acceleration to the 3-velocity and [itex] \vec{a}_\perp = \vec{a} - \vec{a}_\parallel[/itex] is the perpendicular one.​

3. The Attempt at a Solution for question 1 and 2

I think I got the results, but i have some doubts.

[tex]F^\mu = \frac{d P^\mu}{d \tau} = \left(\frac{d}{d \tau}(m \gamma c), \frac{d}{d \tau}(m \gamma \vec{v}) \right )[/tex]
I'll call this 'result' as (EQ1).

Using the gamma relation in the relevant equations:
[tex]F^\mu = \gamma \left ( m c \dot{\gamma}, \frac{d\vec{p}}{dt} \right ) = \left ( m c \gamma ^4 \frac{\vec{v} \cdot \vec{a}}{c^2}, \gamma \vec{f}_R \right ) [/tex]
I'll call this 'result' as (EQ2). Where [itex] \vec{f}_R [/itex] is the 3-force. We know that [itex] F^\mu [/itex] is mass times acceleration:

[tex]F^\mu = m a^\mu = m \left ( \gamma ^4 \frac{\vec{v} \cdot \vec{a}}{c}, \gamma^4 \vec{a}_\parallel + \gamma ^2 \vec{a}_\perp \right ) [/tex]
This is (EQ3).

Comparing (EQ2) and (EQ3) we get:
[tex] \vec{f}_R = m \left ( \gamma^3 \vec{a}_\parallel + \gamma \vec{a}_\perp \right ) [/tex]

scalar product with \vec{v} gives a variation in energy:
[tex] \vec{f}_R \cdot \vec{v} = m \gamma^3 \vec{a} \cdot \vec{v} = \frac{dE}{d \tau} [/tex]
This is (EQ4).
Here is the derivative with respect to the proper-time, right? I'm not sure about this...​

Putting (EQ4) inside (EQ3) in the first component and re-using the second component of (EQ2):
[tex] F^\mu = \gamma \left (\frac{\vec{f}_R \cdot \vec{v}}{c}, \vec{f}_R \right ) = \left ( \frac{1}{c} \frac{d E}{d\tau}, \frac{d\vec{p}}{d\tau} \right )[/tex]
This is (EQ5).

Comparing (EQ5) and (EQ1) yelds:
[tex]\frac{dE}{d\tau} = \frac{d}{d\tau} (m \gamma c^2)[/tex]

So:

[tex]E = m \gamma c^2 +\ constant[/tex]
This is (EQ6).

This is almost what the question 1 asks, but what is this constant? What is the meaning of [itex]E[/itex]? Is it kinect + 'rest energy'?​

Question 2 I got:

[tex]\eta _{\mu\nu}P^\mu P^\nu = m^2 \gamma ^2 (-c^2 + \vec{v}^2) = -m^2 c^2 [/tex]
(EQ7)

From (EQ6) we can write the 4-momentum as:
[tex] P^\mu = \left ( \frac{E}{c}, \vec{p} \right ) [/tex]
(EQ8)

so:
[tex]\eta _{\mu\nu}P^\mu P^\nu = - \frac{E^2}{c^2} + \vec{p}^2 = -m^2 c^2[/tex]

Wich is the answer to question 2 if the constant of (EQ6) is zero...

4. The attempt at a solution for question 3

If we do the same trick used to split the acceleration in parallel and perpendicular parts:

[tex] \vec{f}_R := \vec{f}_{R, \parallel} + \vec{f}_{R, \perp} [/tex]
We build the parallel one:

[tex] \vec{f}_{R, \parallel} = \frac{(\vec{f}_R \cdot \vec{a}) \vec{a}}{\vec{a}^2} [/tex]
and the perpendicular one:

[tex] \vec{f}_{R, \perp} = \vec{f}_R - \vec{f}_{R, \parallel} = \vec{f}_R - \frac{(\vec{f}_R \cdot \vec{a}) \vec{a}}{\vec{a}^2} [/tex]

But I was unable to prove [itex] \vec{f}_{R, \perp} \neq \vec{0} [/itex].

Do you have any hint? All that I got was some previous equations.

If I was not clear in some statement, please tell me.

(is there a way to put a 'name' in some equations to be displayed on the right side of it? Like latex documents?)
(Sorry for my bad English...)

Thanks in advance,
Heitor.

Physics news on Phys.org
From the expression [tex] \vec{f}_R = m \left ( \gamma^3 \vec{a}_\parallel + \gamma \vec{a}_\perp \right ) [/tex] we see that the force is not parallel to the acceleration because [itex] \gamma^3 [/itex] is different from [itex] \gamma [/itex] so the parallel and perpendicular components scale differently.

By the way, I think that instead of taking equations from books and wikipedia, you ought to prove them.

dauto said:
From the expression [tex] \vec{f}_R = m \left ( \gamma^3 \vec{a}_\parallel + \gamma \vec{a}_\perp \right ) [/tex] we see that the force is not parallel to the acceleration because [itex] \gamma^3 [/itex] is different from [itex] \gamma [/itex] so the parallel and perpendicular components scale differently.

Is there any interpretation for this? A 3-force in Special Relativity does not have the same meaning as in Newtonian Mechanics?

I did proved them, it was the previous question in the list.

The 3-force is derived from force laws just like in Newtonian mechanics but f=ma doesn't apply. instead we have f = m (γ3aparallel + γaperpendicular)

Related to 4-force, 4-momentum, energy and mass relations.

1. What is 4-force?

4-force, also known as four-force or four-vector force, is a four-dimensional vector in special relativity that describes the relationship between an object's momentum and its acceleration. It includes three components of traditional force (x, y, z) as well as a fourth component related to time.

2. How are 4-momentum and energy related?

4-momentum, also known as four-momentum or four-vector momentum, is a conserved quantity in special relativity that combines an object's energy and momentum into a four-dimensional vector. This means that energy and momentum are closely related and can be transformed into each other through different reference frames.

3. What is the relationship between mass and energy in special relativity?

In special relativity, the famous equation E=mc^2 describes the relationship between mass and energy. This equation states that mass and energy are two forms of the same thing and can be converted into each other through the speed of light squared. This concept is known as mass-energy equivalence.

4. How do 4-momentum and energy change in different reference frames?

In special relativity, 4-momentum and energy are conserved quantities, meaning they do not change overall. However, their values can appear to change when observed from different reference frames due to the effects of time dilation and length contraction. This is a key aspect of special relativity.

5. Can mass be converted into energy and vice versa?

Yes, according to the mass-energy equivalence equation, mass can be converted into energy and vice versa. This has been demonstrated through nuclear reactions and is the basis for technologies such as nuclear power and nuclear weapons.