4.2 Acceleration due to gravity lab error

In summary, the conversation discusses a discrepancy in a lab experiment where the best fit-line for an average velocity time graph does not start at 0 m/s, despite using a recording timer and a mass. The conversation suggests that this could be due to air resistance, but the individual calculated the average velocity by dividing the displacement by the time interval. It is also noted that the motion of the falling object was observed in short time periods, where it would not be stationary even at the start.
jakeginobi

Homework Statement

My best fit-line for my average velocity time graph doesn't seem to start at 0 m/s. I have no idea how to explain this in my conclusion - http://imgur.com/zniGGkw. This lab was conducted by using a recording timer, and a mass. We started the recording timer first, then let go of the mass then stopped the timer once it reached the floor.

Homework Equations

acceleration due to gravity = -9.80 m/s^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know it couldn't be air resistance in the beginning

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I assume the time is for the mass to go from the top to the bottom and that the total it falled was kept the same each time? How did you calculate the average velocity?

Each time interval, I selected the average velocity divided 0.050s; for instance at the 7th interval my individual displacement was 0.1689 (m) [downwards], and divided it by 0.050s to find the average velocity

It seems you are looking at the motion of the falling object over short time periods, 0.05 s. During such a short time period the object would not be stationary, even at the start. That is it would be approximately 10 x 0.05 = 0.5 m/s

Related to 4.2 Acceleration due to gravity lab error

What is the purpose of the 4.2 Acceleration due to gravity lab?

The purpose of this lab is to determine the acceleration due to gravity by measuring the time it takes for an object to fall a certain distance.

What are the sources of error in this lab?

The main sources of error in this lab include human reaction time, air resistance, and equipment malfunctions.

How can we minimize errors in the 4.2 Acceleration due to gravity lab?

To minimize errors, it is important to take multiple measurements and calculate the average, use precise and calibrated equipment, and repeat the experiment multiple times.

What is the equation used to calculate acceleration due to gravity in this lab?

The equation used is g = 2d/t^2, where g is the acceleration due to gravity, d is the distance the object falls, and t is the time it takes for the object to fall.

How can we improve the accuracy of the results in this lab?

To improve accuracy, we can increase the height from which the object falls, use a more precise timing device, and account for any external factors that may affect the results.