3D wave equation - spherically symmetric transformations

In summary, the problem involves considering the three-dimensional wave equation and making the assumption of spherical symmetry. By making a specific transformation, the equation can be simplified to the one-dimensional wave equation. The solution to the wave equation can then be expressed as the sum of two spherical waves moving in opposite directions with a decaying amplitude.
Vidatu
Problem:

Applied Partial Differential Equations (Richard Heberman) 4ed.
#12.3.6

Consider the three dimensional wave equation

[tex]\partial^{2}u/\partial t^2 = c^2\nabla^2 u[/tex]

Assume the solution is spherically symetric, so that

[tex]\nabla^2 u = (1/\rho^2)(\partial/\partial\rho)(\rho^2\partial u/\partial\rho) [/tex]

(a) Make the transformation [tex]u = (1/\rho)w(\rho,t)[/tex] and verify that

[tex] \partial^2w/\partial t^2 = c^2(\partial^2w/\partial \rho^2)[/tex]

(b) Show that the most general sphereically symmetric solution of the wave equation consists of the sum of two sphereically symmetric waves, one moving outward at speed c and the other inward at speed c. Note the decay of the amplitude.

Attempts
I really have no idea how to do this. Any and all help (hopefully oriented to the level of someone not all that comfortable with PDEs) would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Vidatu,

is this a question for a class? I'm assuming it is not as it is posted in this forum, but just in case I will be stingy with my hints until I hear otherwise.

for part a, all you have to know how to do is differentiate a product. If you are uncomfortable with this then you need to spend serious time reviewing calculus.

for part b, you should have seen almost all of this when you studied the 1-D wave equation. Review that material and you should find what you need.

good luck

jason

Its a suggested problem for our class; a learning exercise, not for marks.

I'm pretty sure I've got part a, but b is still eluding me. For the record, we were never taught the wave equation before; it was part of a prerequisite course, but was cut out, and this course wasn't altered to reflect it.

Related to 3D wave equation - spherically symmetric transformations

1. What is the 3D wave equation for spherically symmetric transformations?

The 3D wave equation for spherically symmetric transformations is a partial differential equation that describes the behavior of a wave in three-dimensional space, taking into account the symmetry of the system. It is commonly used in fields such as acoustics, electromagnetics, and quantum mechanics.

2. What does spherically symmetric mean?

Spherically symmetric means that the system being studied has the same properties in all directions from a central point. In other words, the system is symmetric about a point, like a sphere.

3. What are the applications of the 3D wave equation for spherically symmetric transformations?

The 3D wave equation for spherically symmetric transformations has various applications in different fields. In acoustics, it can be used to model the propagation of sound waves in a spherical cavity. In electromagnetics, it can be used to describe the behavior of electromagnetic waves in a spherical antenna. In quantum mechanics, it can be used to study the behavior of particles in a spherically symmetric potential.

4. How is the 3D wave equation for spherically symmetric transformations solved?

The 3D wave equation for spherically symmetric transformations can be solved using various methods, such as separation of variables, Green's function method, and numerical methods. The specific method used depends on the boundary conditions and the properties of the system being studied.

5. What is the significance of spherically symmetric transformations in the 3D wave equation?

Spherically symmetric transformations play a crucial role in the 3D wave equation as they simplify the equation and allow for easier mathematical solutions. They also make it possible to study the behavior of waves in a system that exhibits spherical symmetry, which is common in many physical systems.