3D Projectile Motion: Finding Y and Z Coordinates of Landing Position of Ball

In summary: It seems that the main point of the conversation was to figure out the landing position of the ball, given its initial velocity and angular velocity. The problem does not provide enough information to accurately calculate the z coordinate, as it is influenced by factors such as air resistance and the Magnus effect. However, assuming an air resistance coefficient of 0.3, the z coordinate can be estimated using the Magnus effect. Otherwise, without this data, it is not possible to accurately calculate the z coordinate.
anmanc

Homework Statement

A perfectly spherical ball is launched horizontally with a linear velocity of 9.9 m/s and an angular velocity (perpendicular to its trajectory) of 4.1 m/s. The ball's mass is 5.0g. (Diagram for explanation of coordinate system)
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/2341/dddlcv.png

Find the landing position of the ball (its y and z coordinates).

b. If the rotational kinetic energy is increased by 10%, find the new landing position of the ball.

Homework Equations

Rotational KE = .5Iw^2
For a perfectly spherical projectile, I = 2/5 (MR^2)
Translational KE = .5mv^2
[PLAIN]http://www.sentynel.com/suvat.png

The Attempt at a Solution

For y coordinate, simply use v=x/t in x direction to find t - t=x/v=4.102/9.9=0.414s.
then, since in the y direction u=0 and a=9.8m/s^2, s=ut+.5at^2=0.83m above the ground on the wall.

I have no clue how to go about the z coordinate. Please help, someone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: There isn't any difference between motion in the x and z direction assuming Fz=0.

But how can Fz equal zero if there is clearly a spin and angular velocity in its direction. Furthermore, this is a question to obtain a theoretical model based off of experimental data which clearly shows an angle phi (between the landing position and the launching device) in the z direction. This is what I am trying to figure out - how to calculate that deviation and perhaps the angle based on the data given. Is that possible?

Could you be more clear about what due you mean when you say "angular velocity"? You say that the angular velocity is 4.1m/s in the z direction. This does not make sense angular velocity is measured in rad/s.If the angular velocity of the ball is 4.1 rad/s in the z direction it means that the ball spins clockwise along the z axis. This is clearly not what you want.

What exactly is the launching apparatus?
Is there wind in the z direction?
What type of ball is it? Is it big enough to be influenced by the wind?

Last edited:
Sorry for the lack of clarity.

I misused the terminology; I meant side spin speed. 4.1m/s is the speed of the side spin. Another calculation of the same concept that I have is just rate of spin, which is 17.8 rps again in the z direction. By the way, it is anti clockwise rather than clockwise.

The launching apparatus is a tennis ball machine. The machine has two horizontally placed wheels that have variable speeds; the ball is placed between them and launched through, so there is side spin (the ball's trajectory is rightward). The ball being launched isn't a tennis ball though, it is the equivalent of baseball without the stitching. There is no wind.

anmanc said:
Sorry for the lack of clarity.

I misused the terminology; I meant side spin speed. 4.1m/s is the speed of the side spin. Another calculation of the same concept that I have is just rate of spin, which is 17.8 rps again in the z direction. By the way, it is anti clockwise rather than clockwise.

The launching apparatus is a tennis ball machine. The machine has two horizontally placed wheels that have variable speeds; the ball is placed between them and launched through, so there is side spin (the ball's trajectory is rightward). The ball being launched isn't a tennis ball though, it is the equivalent of baseball without the stitching. There is no wind.
I still don't completely understand your terms but I will try.
So initially the ball spins around your y-axis (a point on the ball would go towards positive z if you looked from the wall)?
The angular velocity of the ball is w=17.8rps=35.6pi rad/s. ( A measure of how fast it spins around it's axis of rotation)

Since the there isn't any wind the only force in the z direction would be the Magnus force but the problem doesn't appear to give enough info to find it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus_effect

Thank you. Is there is no other way to calculate the z co-ordinate without this data?

But to see how it would be solved with the required data, let's assume the air resistance coefficient is 0.3.

Last edited:
The angular velocity will not affect the flight path unless you want to get into an aerodynamic model, which is fairly complicated. Without that factor, it's a simple projectile motion problem. With aerodynamics factored in, you can't just arbitrarily decide on an "air resistance coefficient". You could assume a coefficient of drag (which would probably be around 0.7), but the spin would still not affect the solution. For the spin to affect the solution, you would need to introduce a model with a coefficient of lift that is a function of the induced circulation of the fluid flow. That is a somewhat nontrivial calculation.

Last edited:

Related to 3D Projectile Motion: Finding Y and Z Coordinates of Landing Position of Ball

1. What is 3D projectile motion?

3D projectile motion refers to the motion of an object (such as a ball) that is projected into the air at an angle, and moves in three dimensions due to the combined effects of gravity and its initial velocity.

2. How do you calculate the Y and Z coordinates of the landing position of a ball in 3D projectile motion?

To calculate the Y and Z coordinates of the landing position of a ball in 3D projectile motion, you can use the equations y = y0 + v0yt + ½gt2 and z = z0 + v0zt, where y0 and z0 are the initial Y and Z positions, v0y and v0z are the initial Y and Z velocities, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time elapsed.

3. What factors affect the Y and Z coordinates of the landing position of a ball in 3D projectile motion?

The Y and Z coordinates of the landing position of a ball in 3D projectile motion are affected by the initial velocity, launch angle, and air resistance. Other factors such as wind, air density, and the shape and size of the ball may also have an impact.

4. Can 3D projectile motion be applied in real-life situations?

Yes, 3D projectile motion is applicable in many real-life situations, such as sports like basketball, baseball, and golf, as well as in engineering and physics to calculate the trajectory of objects.

5. Are there any limitations to 3D projectile motion calculations?

While 3D projectile motion equations are useful for estimating the landing position of a ball, they do not take into account factors such as air resistance and spin, which may affect the motion of the ball in real-life situations. Additionally, these calculations assume a uniform gravity and a flat surface, which may not always be the case in practical scenarios.