32-bit floating point binary query.

In summary, the conversation discusses converting numbers into a 32-bit floating binary representation and converting a 32-bit floating point binary representation into decimal. The speaker is confused about the use of floating point numbers and how to interpret the given representation. They receive help and are able to understand and figure out floating point numbers.
Steve Collins
I’m hoping that someone will be able to clarify these questions that I have been given as I’m very confused.

1. Convert 56 832 into a 32-bit floating binary representation.
2. Convert the 32-bit floating point binary representation B28C0F34 into decimal.

I have watched a couple of YouTube videos and read some articles on the web about floating point numbers. I am under the impression that they are used to represent numbers with decimal points. Am I correct in thinking this? Maybe there has been a typo and the number should read 56.832?

Also, how is B28C0F34 a 32-bit floating point binary representation?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Physics news on Phys.org
Steve Collins said:
I’m hoping that someone will be able to clarify these questions that I have been given as I’m very confused.

1. Convert 56 832 into a 32-bit floating binary representation.
2. Convert the 32-bit floating point binary representation B28C0F34 into decimal.

I have watched a couple of YouTube videos and read some articles on the web about floating point numbers. I am under the impression that they are used to represent numbers with decimal points. Am I correct in thinking this? Maybe there has been a typo and the number should read 56.832?

Also, how is B28C0F34 a 32-bit floating point binary representation?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Floating point numbers do not have to have a fractional part, but they may. So you should still be able to convert a whole number into a floating point number (the exponent is just zero).

B28C0F34 is just a 32-bit quantity. Each letter/number represents a hex nibble 0-F. How you interpret the quantity is up to you (in this case you are to decode its floating point values).

I spent some time on this earlier today and managed to figure floating point numbers out.

Once again, thanks for the direction berkeman.

Related to 32-bit floating point binary query.

1. What is a 32-bit floating point binary?

A 32-bit floating point binary is a data type used in computer systems to represent real numbers. It is made up of 32 bits, or 4 bytes, and can store a range of values with a precision of 24 bits.

2. How is a 32-bit floating point binary represented?

A 32-bit floating point binary is represented using a combination of a sign bit, exponent bits, and mantissa bits. The sign bit determines whether the number is positive or negative, the exponent bits determine the size of the number, and the mantissa bits determine the precision of the number.

3. What is the difference between a 32-bit floating point binary and a 64-bit floating point binary?

The main difference between a 32-bit and 64-bit floating point binary is the size and precision of the numbers they can represent. A 64-bit floating point binary has a larger range and precision compared to a 32-bit floating point binary, allowing it to store larger and more precise numbers.

4. What are some common uses for 32-bit floating point binary?

32-bit floating point binary is commonly used in computer graphics, audio and video processing, and scientific and engineering applications. It is also used in many programming languages as a data type for storing real numbers.

5. How does a computer perform calculations using 32-bit floating point binary?

A computer performs calculations using 32-bit floating point binary by following a set of rules and operations specified by the IEEE 754 standard. This involves converting the binary representation of the numbers into decimal form, performing the calculations, and then converting the result back into binary form.