30kv .3mA DC power supply tips?

In summary, the individual is looking for a high voltage power supply that uses less than 20 parts, preferably a commercial product, and can be turned on and off with a microcontroller. He is also interested in a supply that runs off either 5 or 12V DC.
Fungiwrangler
Hello, I interesting in making a high voltage power supply for capillary electrophoresis. Not much power is required and the DC does not need totally noise free so I figure this gives me a lot of flexibility. I would love the ability to adjust the voltage at 5kv increments in maybe a 5-30kv range. It would be great if the voltage could be adjusted/turned on+off using a microcontroller whether I need analog output or to add a relay/transistor it doesn't matter. Also I would prefer to power this supply using either 5 or 12V DC.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I bet there are some exotic circuits that this would be perfect for.

I am looking for something that uses less then 20$ worth of parts, or a commercially available unit for around that price.

Any help would be great.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have been looking into a Cockcroft–Walton circuit for this. Apparently it can be run with either AC or pulsed DC.

Running on of these on 12V DC would be a huge pain, around 1000 stages are needed.

Does anyone know of a very low cost high voltage AC generator that runs off 12V that is commercially available?

If you had around $200.00 availiable then maybe you could purchase a ready built supply or the parts to build one.
You could check on ebay and you might find a power supply for $20.00.

I would suggest using an inverter. You can use your house socket (120 VAC), a transformer (probably a step-up or some other high voltage transformer), some transistors, and switches.

**Safety Warning**
Very high voltage! It can kill you!

Using that stuff would be a hack job though for $20 or less. The specifics that you request (5KV increment) requires custom design which is going to cost more whether you do it yourself or you find a commerical product. Your SAFEST bet is go buy it commerically because then it will most likely be UL listed.

This is TV line output flyback territory. You can usually pick one up for a couple of bucks, then build a switching circuit.

There are diy-level instructions at http://www.blazelabs.com/e-exp03.asp , where they are suggesting getting 2.2mA at 30kV from one.

If you can wait 8 months, then [if anyone is interested] I'll pin up here a patent of mine that is currently filed but not published that can also accomplish your requirement with much less effort. (I have a 1 to 20kV 5mA prototype I've been using for HV work for the last year, which I built from new commercial stock parts for a total BOM = 12 euros, and which you can stack in parallel or serial with the same again as it is a DC uncoupled output.)

Related to 30kv .3mA DC power supply tips?

What is the purpose of a 30kv .3mA DC power supply?

A 30kv .3mA DC power supply is used to provide a stable and controllable source of direct current (DC) electricity at a voltage of 30 kilovolts and a current of 0.3 milliamperes. This type of power supply is commonly used in scientific research, industrial applications, and high-voltage equipment testing.

How does a 30kv .3mA DC power supply work?

A 30kv .3mA DC power supply typically consists of a high-voltage transformer, rectifier, and voltage regulator. The transformer steps up the input voltage to 30 kilovolts, while the rectifier converts the alternating current (AC) to DC. The voltage regulator then ensures that the output voltage remains stable at 30 kilovolts, while the current is limited to 0.3 milliamperes.

What are the safety considerations when working with a 30kv .3mA DC power supply?

Working with a 30kv .3mA DC power supply requires proper training and safety precautions. The high voltage and low current can be dangerous, so it is important to always wear appropriate personal protective equipment and follow proper handling procedures. Additionally, proper grounding and insulation must be in place to prevent electric shocks and other hazards.

What are the main applications of a 30kv .3mA DC power supply?

A 30kv .3mA DC power supply is commonly used in scientific research for experiments involving high-voltage equipment and particle accelerators. It is also used in industrial applications, such as electroplating and electrostatic painting. Additionally, it is used for testing and calibrating high-voltage equipment, such as circuit breakers and transformers.

How can I choose the right 30kv .3mA DC power supply for my needs?

When choosing a 30kv .3mA DC power supply, it is important to consider your specific voltage and current requirements, as well as the desired level of precision and stability. It is also important to consider the quality and reliability of the power supply, as well as any additional features or accessories that may be necessary for your application. Consulting with a knowledgeable supplier or doing thorough research can help you make an informed decision.