3-D harmonic oscillator expectation value

In summary, the question asks to use the given trial wavefunction to show a specific relationship involving the Hamiltonian for a 3-D harmonic oscillator in spherical polar coordinates. The attempt at a solution involves applying the Hamiltonian to the wavefunction and performing an integral, but there is a term containing 1/r that does not fit the given integral for n<0. The measure of integration used is dV, which includes r^2 dr.
dyn

Homework Statement

The Hamiltonian for the 3-D harmonic oscillator in spherical polar coordinates is given in the question.The question then asks : using the trial wavefunction ##ψ=e^(-αr) ## show that

Homework Equations

##<ψ|H|ψ>/<ψ|ψ> = ([itex]\hbar[/itex]α)^2/2m + 3mω^2/2α^2##

The following integral is also given## ∫ x^nexp(-ax) = n!/a^(n+1) ##for n≥0 with limits from 0 to ∞

The Attempt at a Solution

I applied the Hamiltonian to ψ. The [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] terms drop out. I then perform the integral of ∫ ψ^*Hψ but I have a term containing 1/r and the given integral doesn't apply for n<0

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show your work.

dyn said:

Homework Statement

The Hamiltonian for the 3-D harmonic oscillator in spherical polar coordinates is given in the question.The question then asks : using the trial wavefunction ##ψ=e^(-αr) ## show that

Homework Equations

##<ψ|H|ψ>/<ψ|ψ> = ([itex]\hbar[/itex]α)^2/2m + 3mω^2/2α^2##

The following integral is also given## ∫ x^nexp(-ax) = n!/a^(n+1) ##for n≥0 with limits from 0 to ∞

The Attempt at a Solution

I applied the Hamiltonian to ψ. The [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] terms drop out. I then perform the integral of ∫ ψ^*Hψ but I have a term containing 1/r and the given integral doesn't apply for n<0
What did you use for the measure of integration dV? It contains ## r^2 dr##, did you forget that ##r^2##?

Related to 3-D harmonic oscillator expectation value

What is a 3-D harmonic oscillator?

A 3-D harmonic oscillator is a physical system with three independent degrees of freedom that can be described by a potential energy function that is proportional to the square of the displacement from the equilibrium position. It is a common model used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of particles in a harmonic potential.

What is the expectation value of a 3-D harmonic oscillator?

The expectation value of a 3-D harmonic oscillator is the average value of a physical quantity, such as position or momentum, over many measurements of the system. It is calculated by taking the integral of the quantity multiplied by the probability density function over all possible values.

How is the expectation value of a 3-D harmonic oscillator related to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle simultaneously with absolute certainty. In the case of a 3-D harmonic oscillator, the expectation values of position and momentum are related by the uncertainty principle, where the product of the uncertainties in position and momentum is equal to Planck's constant divided by 2π.

How does the expectation value of a 3-D harmonic oscillator change with different energy levels?

The expectation value of a 3-D harmonic oscillator increases as the energy level of the system increases. This is because higher energy levels correspond to larger average displacements from the equilibrium position, resulting in larger expectation values for position and momentum.

What is the significance of the expectation value in 3-D harmonic oscillator systems?

The expectation value provides a way to predict the most likely value of a physical quantity in a 3-D harmonic oscillator system. It also allows for the calculation of uncertainties and the relationship between different physical quantities, making it a valuable tool in the study of quantum mechanics and other areas of physics.