2nd Order Linear homog ODE of variable coefficients

In summary, the conversation discusses finding solutions to an ODE without knowing a particular solution. Two methods are mentioned - trying y=x^r and changing the independent variable to t=ln(x). The conversation also addresses using the solutions x and x-1 to find a general solution, as well as finding solutions that satisfy given initial conditions. The possibility of using the known solution x to obtain the solution ln(x) is also discussed. The conversation also mentions that ln(x) is not a solution, and asks what other functions would satisfy the y2 solution.
linda300
Hey,

Every where I look I can only find books and pdf talking about the uniqueness and linear independence of the solutions but I haven't been able to find a procedure of finding the solutions to one of these ode's if you haven't been already given a particular solution.

I've been trying to do this tute question,

http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/8382/sdfsq.jpg

but in my lecture note we only went through the proofs of how the solutions are linearly independent and so on,

Would anyone be able to point we in the right direction to where I can find some examples of ODE's like this, solved without already knowing a particular solution?

I have spent some time trying to guess one of the solutions so I could find the other but it isn't going so well,

Mathematica spits out ((1 + x^2) C[1])/(2 x) + (i(-1 + x^2) C[2])/(2 x)
as the general solution but without knowing how it got there it doesn't really help,

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you multiply through by [itex]x^2[/itex] you get the "Cauchy type" or "equi-potential" equation [itex]x^2y''+ xy'- y= 0[/itex].

One method of solving that is to try [itex]y= x^r[/itex]. Put that into the equation and see if there exist values of r so that [itex]x^r[/itex] satisfies the equation.

Another method is to change the independent variable: let t= ln(x). That changes the equation to one with constant coefficients.

Oh cool thanks!

I got r = ±1

so x and x-1 are the solutions and they're definitely linearly independent!

There is another aspect of the question, it states initial conditions that must be satisfied,

x satisfies one set however x-1 doesn't satisfy the other, the other initial condition correspond to ln(x),

Is it possible to find the solution ln(x) using the x-1 found using xr as the solution?

I'm not sure what you mean by "x satisifies one set however x-1 doesn't satisfy the other". They aren't supposed to satisfy one or the other condition separately.

The fact that x and x-1 satisfy the equation and are independent tells you that any solution to that equation can be written in the form [itex]y= C_1 x+ C_2x^{-1}[/itex]. Replace x and y by the values given in your two conditions to get two equations to solve for C1 and C2.

Isn't that y = C x + B x-1 the general solution?

Made up of two solutions y1 = Cx and y2=Bx-1

So in the next question it says find the solutions such that

y1(1) = 1 and y'1(1) = 0 which works with x

And y2(1) = 0 and y'2(1) = 1 which works if y2=ln(x)

are satisfied,

Would you obtain the ln(x) solution by using the known solution x?

Another thing that I noticed is that ln(x) isn't actually a solution, but what other functions would satisfy the y2 solution?

Last edited:

Related to 2nd Order Linear homog ODE of variable coefficients

1. What is a 2nd Order Linear homog ODE of variable coefficients?

A 2nd Order Linear homog ODE of variable coefficients is a type of differential equation with the form: a(x)y'' + b(x)y' + c(x)y = 0, where a(x), b(x), and c(x) are functions of the independent variable x. This type of ODE is commonly encountered in engineering and physics applications.

2. What are the main characteristics of a 2nd Order Linear homog ODE of variable coefficients?

The main characteristics of a 2nd Order Linear homog ODE of variable coefficients are: it is a second-order differential equation, the coefficients a(x), b(x), and c(x) are variable functions of x, and the equation is homogeneous (meaning all terms have the same degree).

3. How is a 2nd Order Linear homog ODE of variable coefficients solved?

To solve a 2nd Order Linear homog ODE of variable coefficients, one can use the method of variation of parameters or the method of undetermined coefficients. These methods involve finding a particular solution that satisfies the given equation and then using it to determine the general solution.

4. What are the applications of 2nd Order Linear homog ODE of variable coefficients?

2nd Order Linear homog ODE of variable coefficients have many applications in physics and engineering, such as in modeling mechanical vibrations, electrical circuits, and heat transfer systems. They are also used in population dynamics, chemical reactions, and other areas of science and mathematics.

5. Are there any real-world examples of 2nd Order Linear homog ODE of variable coefficients?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of 2nd Order Linear homog ODE of variable coefficients. One example is the damped harmonic oscillator, where the motion of a mass-spring system is affected by a damping force that is proportional to the velocity of the mass. Another example is the thermal diffusion equation, which describes the transfer of heat in a material with variable thermal conductivity.