2nd Order, homogeneous Differential Equation

In summary, the homework statement is trying to solve for θ as a function of η, but is having trouble getting the equation to work. The attempt at a solution gives θ as a function of η, but when using the quadratic equation to get roots, the r1 and r2 values are zero. The equation for ##f = d\theta/d\eta## is separable, and solving for ##\theta## yields θ=ae-2ηx.
mudweez0009

Homework Statement

Solve d2θ/dη2 + 2η(dθ/dη) = 0, to obtain θ as a function of η,
where θ=(T-T0)/(Ts-T0)

EDIT: I should add that this is a multi-part problem, and η is given as η=Cxtm. We had to use that to derive the equation in question above.. So I don't know if this is supposed to be solved as a non-constant coefficient method or not... My method below solved it assuming η was a constant.. I can supply the whole problem as an attachment if necessary.

Homework Equations

ay"+by'+cy=0
ar2+br+c=0
If the roots are real and different, solution is: y=aer1x+ber2x

The Attempt at a Solution

I would assume this can just be:
θ"+2ηθ'=0
which turns to:
r2+2ηr=0

But when using the quadratic equation to get roots, I get r1=-2η, and r2=0

Plug this into the solution form and get θ=ae-2ηx

Not sure if this is right. Can someone confirm, or tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If your function is a function of ##\eta##, you clearly cannot make the assumption that ##\eta## is a constant.

The differential equation you have for ##f(\eta) = d\theta/d\eta## is separable.

Okay, so all I know about separable equations is that you have to get like terms on the same side of the equation.
If I rearranged the original equation, it would give me:
d2θ/dθ = -2η(d2η/dη)

But I have no clue how to solve that.

mudweez0009 said:
Okay, so all I know about separable equations is that you have to get like terms on the same side of the equation.
If I rearranged the original equation, it would give me:
d2θ/dθ = -2η(d2η/dη)

But I have no clue how to solve that.
No, the equation for ##f = d\theta/d\eta## is separable. Solve that first and then integrate it to find ##\theta##.

I don't have an equation for dθ/dη. Are you referring to the equation I have for θ in terms of T ( θ=(T-T0)/(Ts-T0) )? Because I'm not sure how to differentiate that with respect to η to obtain the dθ/dη equation...
I apologize for my very rusty differential equations abilities, and I appreciate you trying to help.

Make the substitution ##f = d\theta/d\eta##. This gives you a differenial equation for ##f## that you have to solve.

Okay I think I made progress. (crossing fingers)..
Using the substitution f=dθ/dη, that means df/dη=d2θ/dη2.
Plugging these into the equation d2θ/dη2 + 2η(dθ/dη) = 0 yields:
⇒df/dη + 2ηf =0
⇒df/dη = -2ηf
⇒(1/f)df = -2η(dη)

Integrate both sides:
⇒∫(1/f)df = ∫-2η(dη)
⇒ln(f) = -η2

Take base 'e' of both sides to get:
f=e2

recalling that f=dθ/dη,
⇒dθ/dη = e2

(This is where I may be wrong)... Rearrange and integrate again??
dθ = e2
⇒∫dθ =∫e2

θ = ½*√π*erf(η)+C (I used Wolfram Integral Calculator for this)

Yes, apart from that you missed an integration constant in the first integration.

Okay yes, I missed the constant. So if I put that in there, the first integral would become:
f=e2+C

⇒dθ/dη = e2+C
⇒dθ = [e2+C]dη

Integrate:
∫dθ =∫[e2+C]dη
⇒θ = ½*√π*erf(η)+η+C

I think my answer would change to include an additional η, but does that error function even make sense? I feel like that doesn't make solving the temperature profile any easier, if that were the objective in a real-life application..

mudweez0009 said:
Okay yes, I missed the constant. So if I put that in there, the first integral would become:
f=e-η2+C

Not really. The constant shows up before you exponentiate the result. It is therefore a multiplicative constant rather than additive.

Related to 2nd Order, homogeneous Differential Equation

What is a 2nd Order, Homogeneous Differential Equation?

A 2nd Order, Homogeneous Differential Equation is a type of mathematical equation that involves a second derivative of a function, as well as the function itself. The equation is considered homogeneous because it only contains the dependent variable (the function) and its derivatives, without any independent variables.

What is the general form of a 2nd Order, Homogeneous Differential Equation?

The general form of a 2nd Order, Homogeneous Differential Equation is y'' + P(x)y' + Q(x)y = 0, where y is the dependent variable, x is the independent variable, and P(x) and Q(x) are functions of x. This form can be modified based on the specific problem being solved.

What is the order of a 2nd Order, Homogeneous Differential Equation?

The order of a 2nd Order, Homogeneous Differential Equation is 2, as it involves a second derivative of the function. This means that the equation can be solved by finding two independent solutions and combining them to form the general solution.

What is the difference between a homogeneous and non-homogeneous differential equation?

A homogeneous differential equation only contains the dependent variable and its derivatives, while a non-homogeneous differential equation also includes additional terms involving the independent variable. In other words, a homogeneous differential equation can be solved by finding two independent solutions and combining them, while a non-homogeneous differential equation may require additional methods such as variation of parameters.

What are the applications of 2nd Order, Homogeneous Differential Equations?

2nd Order, Homogeneous Differential Equations are used in many areas of science and engineering, including physics, chemistry, biology, and economics. They are particularly useful in modeling and predicting the behavior of systems that involve acceleration, such as motion and oscillation. They are also used in circuit analysis and control systems.